Party Time!

CHAPTER 22

Deliberations between Dr. Stein and the preternatural representatives go on for hours. Weapons are traded, troops are shuffled around and an endless discussion begins on which of their monstrous enemies needs to be dealt with first. Natsuko is hell bent on focusing all of their combined forces to topple Kagan's operations in Europe and Jean's trademark tunnel vision regarding Ahmu is still in full effect. The debate has escalated from diplomatic discourse to something more resembling a bar room brawl. A conference table placed in the room has just been smashed against the wall. Jean and Natsuko's previously made deal to be polite has disintegrated. Long ignored hatreds are once again bubbling to the surface. Jean snarls at her across the room, “This is so like your arrogant ilk. You assume that killing one man will end an entire war. There are so many more factors at play here than just Kagan.”

Contempt for the wolf's lack of reasoning skills consumes Natsuko. Once again, he is allowing his dismorphic emotions to cloud better judgement, “It's an old and simple adage wolf. Cut off the head and the body dies. It's as easy as that. It's a much better plan than throwing ourselves blindly at an endless supply of mongrels.” If they kill Kagan, Jean is certain that another vampire will simply rise up to take control of his territory. Perhaps even Natsuko herself. All vampires were slaves to their ambitions. Bashina had taught him that lesson years ago.

“They would not be endless if we could cut off their supply chain. Separate them from their juice.”

Mo has been quiet up until this point. The endless circular bickering has worn him out. He knows from personal experience that there was something far more important than personal vendettas, “Those are both ordinary military incursion scenarios that can be delayed and dealt with later. Ra could let loose with thermonuclear grade devastation at any moment. We should be focusing on him.”

Before anyone can make a counter point to his assertion, Theo bursts through the door with his cyborg creation in tow. All eyes shift to them and for the first time in hours, there is silence. Theo dives right into the lively debate, “You’re all wrong. The first target should be simple. We need to focus on Esteban Medina.”

Natsuko is relieved to have a neutral party present at the table. Perhaps he can shed some necessary light on events. She sits back in her chair and looks at Theo, “Why is that Dr. Wise ass?”

“Simple. There is of course, the issue of the juice as the Colonel previous alluded to. Second, if we could manage to recruit some incubi and succubi to our side we could use them to pacify various other species, not the least of which are the channels. You saw how easily the knockout gas put Mo down. Succubi can produce effects similar to that naturally. Furthermore, their military is by far the weakest, and if we send in contingents of drones with their olfactory senses removed then tractatori pheromone abilities would be essentially a moot point.”

Ben expected to be the guest of honour at this meeting. His grand entrance had amounted to little more than a sideways glance from everyone. The last thing he would ever allow people to do is ignore him. He does his best to disrupt the conversation, “Ahem.”

Theo sighs slightly and walks up next to his creation. With all the fanfare of a pro wrestling announcer, Theo introduces the cyborg, “I was getting to you man. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my friend and yours, Ben Guitierrez AKA subject one forty seven.”

Ben sashays up to Jean and extends his right arm into a fist at chest level, “Wassup' big poppa. Glad to be on the team. Pound that shit.” Jean does not reciprocate. He crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow at the peculiar metal man. Studying Ben’s exoskeleton up and down methodically, the Colonel lets out a snort and turns away without a word. A little offended but no worse for wear, Ben plays it off with a joke, “What, no bump? Lassie here is as cold as ice. I thought I was supposed to be the fuckin' robot.”