Traditional Values

CHAPTER 16

The atmosphere is electric inside Kagan's crowded ski chalet. Celebrations began hours ago and show no signs of stopping any time soon. All manner of delectation is being indulged in by the cadre of revellers. Pale faces conceal themselves behind a kaleidoscopic array of finely detailed masks. Humans of all shapes and sizes are passed around so that all in attendance may partake. The guest of honour, however, is not enjoying the festivities. Kagan sits quietly in the corner, grinding his teeth and glaring furiously at the ridiculous frivolity before him.

Two blood drunk vampire nobles take notice of his demeanor and wander up to chide him, “Why so glum? We've won haven't we? Every human government in Europe has already surrendered to us. Asia won't be far behind. We own the humans once again. Just because you didn't get to wipe them out like you wanted to is no reason to waste a good party.” Evidently, the example he tried to set with the cardinal a few days prior was insufficient in getting his message across. That will soon be rectified.

“Yes, old one. Have a drink with us. I'm sure there is a virgin or two left around somewhere. Sitting here moping is unbecoming of one of us. You're just lucky you chose to bow to public opinion. After what you did with Arturo we should have just deposed you.” He clenches his fists and resists the urge to maul them. Their reckoning is coming.

“Oh, don't mind me gentlemen. I'm just waiting for some special party guests to arrive before I join the festivities. It would be rude of me to start without them.” The nobles meander back into the crowd and resume imbibing en masse. If they only knew what he did. Their assault in Asia did not yield its intended result. Masamura had slipped through Torrig's fingers and escaped. The eastern bloc would be able to regroup. In time, they would counterattack. To properly beat them back, his side would need to be united under his rule. The petulant children in his midst would need to be broken.

Torrig would need to be adequately punished. After his lacklustre performance in Los Angeles, he’d begged for a second chance to prove his worth. A full scale invasion force of freshly turned mongrels with the support of succubi and still he failed miserably. Death would not be the answer; that would be too quick and merciful. Under normal circumstances he would have him mutilated and burned, but a lowly human had already taken care of that. He would need to come up with something elegant, yet cruel.

A far more serious issue is the apparent absence of his brother in the midst of all this. Kagan was certain that in the event of open conflict Va'in would have no choice but to come down off his pedestal. The yearning to once again cross paths with a truly worthy adversary consumes him. Killing meant little when the victim had no means of fighting back.

It has been a number of centuries since they had last drawn each other’s blood. Not since the death of their only sister. How he missed her. If Dahaka were still at his side, she would dive head first into the slaughter he has set in motion. The countess would bathe in the blood of upstarts milling about his home. Thinking of her only serves to fuel the burning hatred swelling inside him. However, his ruminations will have to wait; his special guests have finally arrived.

Strutting through the wide open front doors of the chalet comes Ahmu, with a handful of his furry followers in tow. Gap mouthed vampires around the room gawk in abject shock at the new arrivals. Several wretch and shield their noses from the overpowering reek of rotting death that spreads out into the room. The ancient jackal simply grins back at them.

“So, this is what you people call a party, is it? I see liquor, I see drugs.” He lifts his nose in the air and takes a big curious sniff, “Do I smell an orgy? Excellent. But where to begin? Where to begin?” Gaze passing from body to body, licking his lips, Ahmu spins in a slow circle. With so much selection, he would have to think a while on which to choose. Female? Male? Inanimate object? His mind did back flips mulling over the possibilities.