Eco Warrior

CHAPTER 9

Now that I’m actually here, I’m starting to have some doubts. I knew what it was that I signed on for, but do I really want to die for this? Is the point we’re trying to make worth killing all these people? I’ve lived in England my whole life, blowing up London just seems like a huge waste. Shut up Clyde, you’re second guessing yourself. Confidence Clyde, always confidence.

‘Do what needs to be done.’ That’s what he told me. Then again he also told me he was a ten thousand year old sun god who speaks for the spirit of the planet. That part did seem odd, until he snapped his fingers and burned my brother's flat down.

It was a nice flat too. He could have just burned down a shed or something. He didn’t have to wreck a whole building to make his point. All my Doctor Who DVDs were in there. Oh well, it’s not like I’ll need the DVDs where I’m going.

I mean, I get the whole ‘humanity has gone too far’ stuff. I’ve been saying all that myself for years. Activism has always been my passion, so maybe the jump to extremism was just a natural progression. I totally see the need for massive seismic world change, but is this really the answer?

I wonder if all suicide bombers go through this.

God damn, this itches. Not just a regular kind of itch either. If it just stuck to one place on my body, it wouldn’t be such a big deal. But it runs all over. Head to toe, like a swarm of mosquitoes is buzzing around inside of me.

Kinda’ cool though, got to admit it. Whod've thunk anybody could do this? I mean, I can make fire outta’ thin air! It would have been nice if he’d warned me before he lit me up though. ‘That’s just the reality of passing on the gift’ he said. ‘Pain is a necessary part of accepting the mantle of the chosen’ he said.

Funny bloody talker he was. Like somebody out of the bible, all ‘prophecy of the coming’ this, and ‘the great one's eruption approaches’ that. All he needed to say was ‘We’re taking down the Angelista Corporation Clyde, d’you want in?’ I would’ve been on board in a minute. As it was, he stood there yelling at the sun like he was Jesus yelling at the bloody Romans.

OK, put on your game face Clyde, here’s the first security check point. Just be cool, they don’t know who you are or why you’re here. You’re just another refugee, here for food and emergency supplies. Smile and… wait, don’t smile. Cry! Make up the best sob story you can think of and make it snappy. OK, here’s the window, “G’day sir. I’ll need your ID please.” Be cool Clyde, be cool. Just hand him the ID. God damn hands! Stop shakin'!

“Here you are. So, is there food and water here, then? The lootin' in my neighbourhood didn’t leave much in the way of supplies around.” Oh, wonderful! My voice only cracked three times during that sentence. Maybe I’ll be lucky and this guard will be a certified mental.

“Please pull ahead to the left, sir. We need to ask you a few questions.” Fuck! Cunt stuffing’ bollocks! Great work Clyde, great work. Not even past the first checkpoint and already busted. No! No! Stay positive. You can get past no problem. You haven’t got anything illegal in the car.

It’s not like they could know that you’re the bomb.

Just relax. Take a breath and answer whatever questions they’ve got. You've got no pending legal issues at present, so it’s not like your name will get any extra scrutiny. OK, we’re parked. Let’s see what they’ve got to say.

“Sir, do you have any illegal items in your car? Drugs, guns or the like?”

“No sir.”

“Are you certain? You looked awfully shaky to the guard at the window and you’re pouring sweat. We’re going to do a sweep of your car now sir, so if there’s anything in there, you need to tell us now.” Go ahead idiot, if it gets too tense, I’ll just pop off right here. See how you like being a pile of ash you bloody fascist. Hmmm… why is that one talking into his radio?