Surprise

I drove by Domino's but decided it was best not to walk in on her at work. Turning my vehicle around I left for my room.

It was 11:35 and very dark when I made my call. I recognized Victors voice.

"Hello Domino's how can I help you?"

"Yes. I want to order a pizza."

"Alright. What kind were you wanting?"

"How about a large pepperoni with pineapple?"

"OK so that's a large Pepperoni with pineapple. Is this a pick-up or delivery?"

"Delivery. I'm at the Motel 6. I will be outside by the picnic table. And please hurry I have an early appointment tomorrow and don't want to be up too late."

"No worries Sir. We'll have it there in 30 minutes or less."

"Thank you."

Sitting down on the side of the bed I began consolidating my notes. I found that writing them before the time jump was best for accuracy.

From experience I'd learned that when you first return your mind is a little overwhelmed with the parallel memories of the original time competing with the new reality stream. It can get confusing unless you have a written record to reference.

So I began writing all the details and conversations I'd had. It was a bit tedious but in a few hours I knew I'd be glad that I did.

After a while I checked my watch. It was 11:58 and I was getting a little anxious. Looking out towards the street I could see the regular traffic flowing. There were no sirens to be heard or traffic jams on Watt Avenue itself.

Feeling a little thirsty I realized I'd forgotten to order sodas.

I remembered there was a soda machine by the managers office up front and started to walk there.

I found the manager awake and watching an episode of Miami Vice on TV with his headphones on. He was deeply engrossed in the Miami world of pastels colors, speed boats and Crack Cocaine.

Without saying a word I pulled out 2 dollar bills and he seemed to already know what I needed. He opened a drawer and handed me 8 quarters while taking the bills in exchange.

Outside I started dropping them into the bright red and white vending machine for 2 cans of  Coke.

Walking back I knew this would be my last chance to try to talk some sense into her. My return jump was supposed to be at 1:05 AM sharp. It was at that time she was last seen alive in 1987. My departure point was the same as my arrival point. Off the walkway to the paddle wheel steamboat at Old Sacramento.

I set my watch alarm to 12:30 and put in on vibrate mode which would give me enough time to drive to the departure point and leave on time.

One of the strict rules laid down by the Temporal Control Committee was that all time travellers were to submit an arrival and departure plan with specific touch points.

This was a safety measure so that they would know what time and place you were physically at. Rescuing lost or imperiled time travellers was greatly simplified if rescuers knew exactly where you were at specific times. Arrival and departure times and places were considered the most basic of such touch points.