Large Pepperoni

As sound of police sirens and traffic filled the night I sat by the open picnic table and dialed on the wireless handset.

"Domino's how can I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like to order a large pepperoni pizza with added pineapple and a six pack of Coke."

"And what address is that?"

"I'm at the Motel 6 on Watt Avenue. I'll be at the big picnic table outside. "

"And what's your name Sir?"

"Stone."

"OK anything else Mr Stone?"

"Nope that's all."

"Very well. We should have it delivered within 30 minutes or it's free."

"Thank you."

30 minutes or it's free. What a great policy that was. Too bad they did away with that later on.

I hung up then walked over to the only open parking space in the lot. It was just a few steps away and in front of my room. Leaning down I placed 2 long curved spikes where a tire was sure to run over it. I had parked my rented Escort out on the street.

Pulling out my watch I calculated they had exactly 25 minutes before closing time. Just enough to get my order out but too late for any others. I put my feet up on the opposite bench seats and waited.

She drove up in a yellow AMC Gremlin. A hideous  hatchback that was just about impossible to see anywhere but in the past. As I had planned she drove right into the empty parking spot and I could hear a small pop as the drivers side tire hit one of the spikes.

Jennifer jumped out holding a pizza box. She stopped and leaned in as she heard the sound of pressurized air escaping. She paused just long enough to place the box on the hood of her car.

"Oh no! Oh CRAP!" She cried as knelt down looking for the source of the leak.

Standing up from the table I walked over to 'help'.

"Everything OK? I can hear your tire. Sounds bad."

The tire was deflating rapidly and the Gremlin slumped slightly to one side.

"Oh great! Just what I needed to end my day- a flat tire." She exclaimed looking up to the sky.

Walking casually to the front of the vehicle I leaned down to look and reached in to remove the spikes I'd planted.

"Looks like you might've run over something sharp. But maybe I can help. Do you have a spare? I can help change it."

"Yes, but... well .... I was just here to deliver a pizza and-"

"I know. I ordered it. I'm Stone and the pepperoni pizzas for me."

"Yes! I was just wondering about that. I'm Jenny and obviously this is for you." She said handing me the pizza and the sodas.

I pulled out a $20.00 bill and handed it to her in exchange.

"So where do you keep the jack and spare?"