I let go of him and ran to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and dried my hair. I tied it up in a ponytail and left my face bare. I wore a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, to keep it casual as he had instructed. The bag was packed with a few essentials, and I was ready to leave.

He was waiting for me at the breakfast table and smiled when he saw me. The staff brought us some food and we ate in silence. We left shortly after breakfast. On our way Evan remained silent being his usual self.

"Did you take all the files I told you?" He asked me, breaking the silence.

"Yeah." I replied, wondering what he was planning.

He nodded and said, "Good. We'll need them for the meeting."

"Meeting?" I asked, confused.

He looked at me and said, "It's a work trip, Rose."

I felt a pang of disappointment. Of course, I knew this was a business trip, but I was ashamed to admit that I'd hoped it would turn to something that was just for us.

He must have seen the change in my expression because he said, "If you're expecting a romantic getaway then you're going to be disappointed. But I do have something planned for you."

I smiled and said, "I can't wait to see it."

He smiled back and said, "Trust me, you'll love it."

"I do."

"I know we never got to go on our honeymoon. But I'll make it up to you. This is just the first of the many places I plan to see with you. I want more vacations with you." A lifetime of Evan wouldn't be enough for me. I held onto his promise of more memories for us. A bitter memory of the early days of our marriage soured my mood. A look of guilt washed over his face. I wished I'd been better at masking my emotions.

"Where would we go, for our honeymoon?" I always liked to imagine it would be beaches and calm ocean. Somewhere I could see Evan being lazy and relaxed. I dreamt we'd chase each other on the sand, and he'd playfully pull me in the water.

"The Caribbeans maybe or some place with a private beach. You'd be sunbathing naked, and I'd pour lotion all over your silky body. I'd insist you cover-up, but you'd be stubborn about it. I'd have to be on a watch duty to chase away prying eyes. I'd feed you strawberries with my hand and watch the sunset with you." Evan painted a picture better than I ever could. But the fact our thoughts matched left me feeling warm from inside.

"Would you be naked as well?" The sight of him in his pure male form without any clothes on would make any woman weak. I was no exception.

"Not at first but since I know it'd turn you on, I'd eventually toss my clothes away. We'd skinny dip, of course." Sadness washed over his face. I could tell he was suppressing something within himself. He had never spoken about it but I wasn't a fool to never notice it.

"I'm sorry I never gave that to you." He wasn't looking at me but I knew he meant it.

"Its in the past now."

"You must've hated me."

How could I hate him? I was madly in love. I was disappointed and hurt by the way he had treated me, but I never felt any hatred. "I can't hate you," I said softly.

"Do you ever regret marrying me?" I paused. What did I feel? I wished I could change how things would be different. I wished we had been more prepared for the commitment we had made. But I didn't regret loving him.

Suddenly his face hardened into a blank wall, hiding any emotions. His jaw clenched and he reclined in his seat. He looked like a different person from the one who had just opened up to me. The vulnerability in his posture disappeared. "You don't have to answer that."

"Evan.." He cut me off with a cold stare.

"We've reached the destination." The driver's voice cut the tension, effectively ending the moment between us. A nearing image of the airport with a private jet parking area filled me with questions.

As I stepped into the private jet, I felt a surge of excitement and luxury. The leather seats were soft and comfortable, the champagne was chilled and ready, and the windows offered a stunning view of the sky. I smiled at the pilot, who greeted me warmly. "Mr. Carter! Welcome Miss Jacobs, I'm Andrew Slater. I'll be flying safely to your destination. I hope you have a comfortable journey." Andrew's smile was warm and professional. He was an older guy and Evan assured me he was well experienced in chartering private jets.

I settled into one of the plush seats and Evan sat beside me not saying much.

"This is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard flight to Miami. We are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts"

Florida, so that's where we were headed. When the plane took off, I found Evan working on his laptop. He hadn't said much beside a few words while settling down.

About thirty minutes later I heard him shuffling in his seat and found him set aside his laptop. The flight attendant got us drinks. I was sure I had ruined this trip for both of us in the car when Evan placed his hand in mine and lifted it to his mouth to kiss my palm. "I'm so lucky to have you, Rose. Don't let me fuck this up. I'm going to keep messing this up. But don't you ever leave me. I'll make up for everything we have lost. I promise." And once again I believed him.

...