2. Lack of Motive (C)

a teen vehemently denies having broken their mother's favorite vase 

*

Est. Run Time: 1:00.00-1:15.00

Suggested Props: none

Suggested Costuming: none (although obviously wear something...)

*

Okay. Okay, okay, okay. Calm down. Let's both just.... Calm down, okay? Geez.

Now, I know that this all looks, well, pretty bad, but I can assure you that I'm not hurt at all. *pauses* Oh. So that's how it is. You're more worried about that broken vase than you are about me. Hmph. *pauses again*

What? No! I didn't do it! Why would I do something to that poor, old vase or the flowers in it? There's no...I have no...what is it? Motive! There's no motive. I don't have any. Yup, no motive here! *laughs shakily**pauses yet again*

Why don't you believe me? It wasn't me! *points* It was Susie, not me! *pauses* Yeah, I know she's two. Yeah, I know she can barely walk. But that's why it happened! She tried to walk and fell and hit the table, oh oh, and she's over there because I moved her. Yeah...don't want her to get cut or anything. It's not like she's demon spawn the world would be better off without or anything. *pauses yet again*

Oh so you ask the two-year-old, and you believe her, but you ask me, and you don't believe me. *sighs* Fine. I did it. I broke that stupid vase. But it was an accident, I swear! *pauses*

What do you mean, "it was an antique"?! We got it at Wal-Mart in the garden center! And it was ugly, anyways. You're the only one who even liked it. *pauses*

I'm grounded?! But I told you the truth! Eventually....

*

Notes: I see this as a monologue for a teenager, but I'm sure a younger child would be able to pull if off fairly well, if they should choose to do so. Make sure you choose as spot to stare at when "talking" to the "mother" if you choose to perform this. Don't ever stare directly at one of the people you are auditioning for, however, as that can be uncomfortable for them. Just stare above their head, maybe, or choose a direction/object that the "mother" is standing in front of in your head. The same goes for when performing other monologues that have an imaginary audience.