Chapter Five

When I came to, I was back in Chris's apartment, sprawled out on his couch. Green orbs entered my vision as I cracked my eyes open. A bit surprised, I jerked back.

"Morning Holly!" Jeremy chirped. "You've been out for awhile."

"Where's Chris?" I looked around the blond who began pouting and saw Chris in the recliner, looking tired. "What time is it?" I asked him.

"You don't care about me anymore huh," Jeremy sighed as Chris said, "A little after midnight."

I opted to ignore Jeremy. "Where's Isaac?"

Chris's lips curved down the slightest bit. "I brought him home."

"Oh." Then everything that was said earlier came rushing back to me. My eyes widened and my pulse jumped. "The gang— it's re-forming? But... Shawn is—"

"We're not getting involved," Chris said firmly.

"That's what you said last time!"

He shook his head. "It's different this time. Whoever this new guy is— we don't have any past relations. There was something between Shawn and myself and that's why I was dragged back in. But this time there isn't."

His words did little to ease my worry. Last time he didn't want to get involved either and he still had been dragged back into it. And Isaac had said that if the gang really did reform they'd be going after the one on top— which was still Chris. "He said you're still on top," I reminded Chris, eyes wide. "How are you still on top? Because you're the one who sent Shawn to jail? Is this never going to end?"

"No, Holly, it's over," Chris responded calmly.

"Apparently it's not," I said, trying to keep my voice even. This wasn't fair. We had been through enough already. Shawn was in jail. It should've been the end of it! I could feel my eyes starting to burn and I quickly looked at the floor.

"Holly," Chris started softly. "Look at me." He waited until I reluctantly turned my gaze to him before speaking. "We won't be involved anymore. I won't let that happen again."

I could feel my eyes start to water. "But Isaac said—"

Chris shook his head. "Forget about what Isaac said. Those are only rumors. We're done. I'm done. No more fighting, I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep," I responded quietly.

His mouth formed a smooth line. "Why don't you believe me?"

"Because when has our life ever been easy?"

A pained expression crossed his face and I immediately felt guilty. After a second he stood up from the recliner and came to sit next to me on the couch. He threw an arm over my shoulder and pulled me close to him. I put my head on his chest and closed my eyes. "I'm sorry," I apologized. He shouldn't have had to show that expression anymore.

"You didn't say anything wrong," he assured me. "And you're right. It hasn't been easy for us. That's why I don't want to get involved with the gang again. To protect you, to protect our friends, and to protect our future."

"You forgot to protect yourself," I mumbled into his chest.

He pulled away a little so that I had to look up at him. "What? You're not going to be my knight in shining armor anymore?"

"Chris," I said, frowning at his attempt to change the subject. "I know that you don't want to get involved again, but you didn't think twice about helping Isaac yesterday."

"That was a one time thing—"

"So you're saying if you happened to see him getting the crap beat out of him you wouldn't do anything?"