Chapter 4

Preston and I planned yet another meet up. Lindsey was sitting in the kitchen listen to me ramble about the other night. She had the biggest grin on her face.

"I think someone is finally in love." She joked. "It was a good idea for me to introduce you two then."

I shrugged. "Yeah. I have to teach myself that it's okay to come out of my shell."

"You never had an easy life. You never opened up to people. That's why it's so scary to talk to someone. But look at what happened. You talked to Preston and you and him have something in common."

"Beginners luck. Besides, he's probably going to walk out soon enough."

"Hey. You don't know that."

We were silent for a while. I heard my phone go off. I looked down and noticed it was an unknown number. I read it but bothered not to respond back.

"I gotta get ready." I got up and Lindsey nodded.

"All right. Message me later to tell me all the details."

I smiled and she left. I went upstairs and threw on a racerback tank and short shorts. Today was the first day not working on the Chevelle. She got a fresh paint job yesterday so she is complete.

I walked downstairs and grabbed the keys to Chevelle. I opened up the garage door and there she was. I unlocked the door and got in. Typing in the GPS, I put in Preston's address. Shortly after I texted him that I was on my way. Turning on the radio some classic 80s rock came on. Butterflies formed in my stomach as I got closer to Preston's house.

When I pulled into his driveway I put the car in park and texted him that I was here. He responded back almost immediately. Seconds later he came out. I unlocked the passenger side door. Preston got in and he said "hey". I did the same.

Tonight we were just cruising. We talked about nonsense. I felt free. Every few minutes we made eye contact. His icy eyes meeting with my chocolate brown ones. His hand rested open in the middle of the two seats. I looked at him real quick before putting my eyes back on the road.

"Take my hand." He said over the radio.

"I'm not sure." I told him back.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. I promise." A reassuring smile formed on his face.

So, I did. I took his hand. Our fingers intertwined and Preston closed his fingers around my knuckles. Something felt different. I liked the way this feels. We were coming to a strong connection. It was still too early to figure out if we were going to become more or not. We've only known each other for three weeks. This is a start. I'm proud of myself. I'm finally opening up out of my shell.

The next thing I know, it's already nearing eight. "You wanna grab something to eat?" Preston stated happily.

I nod as I scoped out the area for restaurants. I found one and pulled in to the lot. When our hands broke apart a saddening feeling consumed me. But it was instantly revived when we met up at the front of the car. Preston laced his fingers in mine. A smile formed on my face. Preston looked down at me.

When we walked into the restaurant, the people glared at us with looks of disgust on their faces. I looked down at the floor as we walked to our table. We got to the table and I looked up.

"Hey, you okay?" Preston scanned my eyes.

"Social areas like this might be a slight issue with me. It's nothing bad." The waiter came and took our drink order. He left. "I'd just rather not talk about it now."

Preston nodded as the waiter came back with our drinks. We ordered our food and continued having a conversation. I played around with the straw as a force of habit. Preston grabbed my hand and rubbed circles on the back of my hand. A smile came to my face. I felt my phone go off in my pocket. I pulled away from Preston. It was the same unknown number from. I didn't bother reading the message.

The waiter came back with our food. From this point on, there was no conversation between us. Just pure silence.

After we ate I decided to take Preston back to his place. I got out of the car when I pulled up to his house.

"Do you wanna come inside?" Preston asked me.

"I should probably go. But thanks though." I smiled.

Preston pulled me into a hug. I was stiff for a couple moments but I eventually let myself wrap my arms around him. Preston pulled away and scanned my eyes. He then leaned down and kissed my cheek. I wasn't entirely sure what to do at this point. I've never had anyone show me this kind of affection. Preston stepped back.

"Can you text me when you get home? Just so I know you got there okay."

I nod. "Yeah. Sure."

Preston pulled me into one more hug. I breathed in his scent. He smelled faintly of cologne. Preston pulled away and smiled once more before heading up the stairs to his house. I got in my car and headed back down to my place. Lindsey was texting nonstop on the drive home. I ignored her texts and I wanted to make it back safely to my place.

As I was walking through the garage door, I texted Preston to tell him I got home okay. He texted back a few minutes later telling me goodnight. I decided to text Lindsey back. I told her about tonight and all the stuff that happened. My sweatshirt smelled like the cologne that Preston was wearing. And eventually Lindsey asked the question if we kissed yet or not. I told her no.

I changed out of my clothes and into something more comfortable and I fell back on to the bed. A smile came across my face as the moments of tonight played through my mind. I just hope that this will last. That's all I ask for. But your first love is always the quickest to leave, right?