Prefects

She walks out of her room and collides with someone- Fred, already reaching out to steady her. It doesn't really surprise her that she keeps running into things (people, tables, umbrella stands), because she's too busy staring down at her arm, imagining what it'll look like a few short months from now. It's easier to tear herself away from it and smile up at Fred, only to find him already looking down at her with something like confusion, one corner of his mouth twitching up in a smile. "Is that my sweater?"

"Uh, yeah." She had debated about wearing it while getting ready, putting it on and then taking it off, twisting around in front of the mirror and wondering if he would notice. Over the summer, it had become her sweat of bad things, because a few months ago it still smelled like Fred and grass and smoke, at least until she broke down and washed it. "I stole it a while ago. You can have it back."

"Nah," He reaches out to pluck at the yarn, then shrugs. "Keep it. Looks good on you."

It had been a good day, which of course means that something has to come along and ruin it. This time, it had come in two prefects badges, tumbling out of letters and into outstretched hands. Audra had been with Hermione when she found hers, and gotten wrapped up into the flurry of hugs and congratulations. She had also been there when Hermione burst into Harry and Ron's room and made the mistake of telling Harry that she thought it would be him when it was actually Ron's, saw Ron's ears turn red and Harry's face flush, heard Mrs. Weasley's excitement.

It still might have been okay, had Mrs. Weasley not rushed to him and wrapped him in a hug, shouting, "Oh a prefect, that's everyone in the family!" with Fred and George, who were decidedly never made prefects, sitting right in front of her.

Which led them to this.

"Little Ronnie, an ickle little prefect." George drew out the words in a little baby voice that didn't sound teasing at all, just bitter and jealous and more than a little cruel. He hadn't stopped repeating something of the sort since they apparated out of Ron's room and back to theirs, each syllable punctuated by another dangerous tap of his wand. There were several scorch marks on the walls now, but she doubted Sirius would mind.

"Can't believe they gave it to him," Fred said sourly, throwing one converse across the room so it hit the wall and bounced to the floor with a thud. "What's he ever done?"

"Oh, stop it." Audra spat out. "You two should be happy for him!"

"Happy?" Fred stared at her like she had grown a second head. "He's got a badge for being a goody-two shoes, and we need to be happy?"

"He didn't get it for being a goody-two shoes, you prat, he's broken almost as many school rules as you and George! The difference is that he broke them because in some twisted sense of morality, it was the right thing to do! Ron's saved lives, and he's been brave, and he's a hero even at fifteen, that's why he got it!" The flurry of commotion downstairs which was Ron, Hermione, and Harry's continued squabbling (with the add in of Ginny) fell quiet. They could hear every word they were saying, because sound carries and no one can afford things like privacy here. "And he finally did something worth being proud of all by himself, without having to share it with Harry and Hermione, or without it being overshadowed by all his older brothers! Because he does have to share a lot with you, and he never complains, but that has to be hard, because this whole entire family, including him, mind you, consists of the most wonderful and talented witches and wizards I've ever had the pleasure or meeting. He did something good, and you two arses should have just sucked it up and admitted that you were proud of him instead of ruining it!" The twins stood at her, gaping. George has Fred's other shoe in his hand, and Audra wonders idly if he's considering throwing it at her. She does not know what right she thinks she has to say this, except for the fact that she hates the awful sound to their voices and the crestfallen look on Ron's face more than she would hate them to be mad at her. "And quit the dragon dung about being disappointed when you're really just upset about your mum saying all her kids were prefects!"