Chapter Six - Pain & Revenge

Chapter Six – Pain and Revenge

One week ago – Vermont

It was a massive rush of impatient persons during the late hours of noon in the state of Vermont. The sun was slowly making its descent after a dull, chilly day even though it had not been magnificently shining bright during daylight hours. The vague air was turning icy by the minute and families, also individuals, were hastening to retreat to the shelter of their blissful homes. Perhaps, the people of Vermont could expect a rough night that day.

The long trees were mostly comprised of slim, brunet branches whose dead leaves rustled on the ground in contrasting hues of green, yellow and a fiery orange and scarlet red. The snow was yet to arrive.

While most of Harrington’s colleagues complained to him how they detested the season during this time of the year – he treasured it.

Harrington loved the beauty of the unambiguous foliage that was visible in sunny colours, and the fallen leaves that he kneeled over to embrace on the earth along-with her glory, and the chilly air that kissed his rough cheeks in consolation. He was beyond doubt that any sane person could loathe such splendour. He loved the departing fall that was giving into winter.

It was the only season wherein his never-fading memories of Kimberly and he were at its peak. For it was under these trees that they had met and become united as of one heart and soul and had made passionate love in the silent hours of midnight. Harrington had lived here almost all his life and had met Kimberly each time she was in Vermont on soothing expeditions.

Later, he had obscured plenty of holidays back to Lancashire to meet the love of his life. The memories were yet fresh, like they had occurred only yesterday.

He was laughing at the tales his friends confided to him when they had all gone fishing. Harrington’s phone began ringing and he placed the fishing rod aside, on a flat, large rock, to answer the call. It was from her. Instantly, he rose to his feet grinning like a love-sick fool.

“Hey, sweetheart!” he laughed into the phone. There was silence, only harsh breathing. Clearly something was wrong. He walked further away from his friends after signalling to them that he would be back.

“Honey… Is everything alright?” he asked. Now, he could feel the thumping of his own heart in sync with hers.

“Harry…” her voice was so low. And then, there was a sound of a crashing door and the sound of men’s voices.

“THERE’S ONE HERE!” blared one of them. There were more voices of approaching men.

“Honey, what’s going on?” His hands were feverish and beads of perspiration streamed down his forehead. This could not be good. “Kim, answer me!”

However, she was whimpering through the speaker and sobbing uncontrollably.

“Kim? WHAT’S GOING ON?”

“Please… Please go away. DON’T…” she was screaming now. She must have dropped the phone as her voice was now distant.

“Kim…” Harrington cried out but only on the inside for his voice had dispersed away in shock.

A gun shot. And the screams of ‘no…’ in the air – he had been with her during her last breath. Harrington froze, unable to make out what was happening. His love – she could not be dead…

And then a voice spoke, providing the very detail he required to pay a nasty vengeance to his family’s bloodbath. “Sir Francis, they’re all dead. You can leave now. We’ll dispose of the bodies near a fake accident scenario.”