Chapter One - The Beginning

Chapter One – The Beginning

Linda walked home once she had descended the bus. Today had been quite a stressful day at school with weeks before of restlessness. Even the day before, she had stayed awake till dawn, studying for the Science monthly test.

She walked down the twisting lane that was flanked by a thicket of shrubbery on either side. Her home was located at the farthest end. While her eyes were almost shut, only her feet carried her along through retention of daily routine. The sun at its peak, shining down bright and hot at this time of noon, promoted more to her idle pace.

Having stumbled upon a rock, she opened her eyes to see the doorway of her home slightly open. Any ordinary day would have made her mind buzz with questions and keen curiosity. Then again, all she wanted as of now was to skip lunch for a light snack. Afterwards, she would confine to the bliss of her room.

Those were her ways and ‘old habits die hard’. Nothing mattered more to her than scoring good grades and being a straight ‘A’ student before her teachers. Also, her best chum – Miranda –was her life and oxygen. Thus, that was very much everything that covered the bane of her existence. This, now, had always been her definition of happiness of a serene lifespan.

She ignored the voices of her mother, Eleanor, speaking to a stranger-lady and preceded to the kitchen. Instantly, Snowy – her cat, came hurdling and meowed at her feet. A harmonious mirth rang its course through her slim figure.

The cat was always given her portion of lunch and Eleanor was never aware of these little escapades. Linda headed towards the backyard and placed her share on the cat’s bowl upon which it leaped high in happy gratitude.

After stroking the cat’s delicate fur, Linda grabbed an apple and a tin juice and made her way to the upper floor with the Nike bag yet slung upon her shoulder.

This time, though, she paused at the stairway for a glimpse of the stranger-lady. She was old but her determined persona concealed her age that was way into the seventies. Linda shrugged with indifference and continued her pace.

She discarded her white sneakers and socks at the shoe rack and smiled upon entering the room – it was clean and smelled fresh, just as she had left it. After all the procedures of hygienic importance, she combed her wavy locks and changed into a pair of informal faded denim and a baggy T-shirt.

Munching upon the shiny red fruit, Linda began her revision for tomorrow’s test.

A sudden banging on the door made her awaken with a start, rubbing at her eyes and confused by her surroundings.

“Urgh…” She huffed – she had dozed off somehow on the study table.

A second round of banging did not aid her frustration. She unlocked the door, ready to yell at the person behind the unnecessary racket.

 “Bill!” she shouted at her youngest brother who stood at the doorway with a careless smirk on his lips and a football tucked under his arms, “don’t you bang on my door – ever – again, alright!”

The ten year old was tapping the floor with a superior look plastered on his face. “And what makes you think you’re so important.”

“Fine, what do you want?” Linda gave in, not in the frame of mind to whack the haughty attitude out of him.

He pouted in disappointment that she had not retorted back and said, “Daddy wants you down for dinner, now.”

 Dad…? Linda was surprised as her father, Alexander, was mostly never at home. He was Head of the Dispute Council and was often kept busy with their problems.