18 | back to school

Finally, the part I had been dreading most about this summer was finally here

Finally, the part I had been dreading most about this summer was finally here. Going back to school.

Stuart and I agreed we would make it work long distance, considering it was only a year before we would be seeing each other everyday. But that didn't make it any less difficult to fathom saying goodbye to him.

"Hey, Stu?" I called into my room, a bobby pin pinched between my teeth as I pulled my hair into a messy bun. "Could you see if I got my phone charger out from the wall beside the nightstand?"My brow furrowed when I got no response. I shoved the bobby pin into my hair and walked out into my room, where Stuart was sitting on my bed, staring at both our suitcases. "Stu?"

His honey glazed eyes met mine and I tipped my head at him, folding my arms over my chest. "What's wrong? You okay?"

Stuart stood up and made his way over to me, placing his hands on my hips. I lifted my hands to rest on his upper arms, my brow still pinched in worry. "Hey," I whispered, reaching up to cup his cheek. "What's wrong?"

He pulled me into him and he buried his face into my hair, his breath warm and steady against me. I didn't say anything, just wrapped my arms around his back and rested my chin on his shoulder.

"I'm going to miss you." He murmured finally, and I smiled a bit, running my hands up and down his back.

"I'm going to miss you too, you dork." I hum, kissing his collar bone. "It's only a year, though. And it's not like we won't talk everyday."

"I know." He murmured, pulling back so he could adjust his glasses and cup my face into his palms. "It's not the same, though."

"I know." I sigh, squeezing his arms. "But it's better than nothing, yeah?"

Stuart sighed, kissing my nose and making me smile. "Yeah."

"You're my favorite, you dork." I say, resting my chin on his chest and grinning up at him.

He grinned down at me, kissing my forehead. "You're my favorite too, coffee breath."

***

"Have a great senior year, guys." Lyle says as we all gather on the sidewalk, suitcases in hand. "We'll keep your desk chairs warm for you." He grins. "Team Lyle."

"Team Lyle!" We all cheer, gathering together for a group hug.

"Yo-Yo!" We all turn our heads to see a tall Asian woman standing beside her car, her hands on her hips. "Let's go. Now."

"Mom, I need a minute." Yo-Yo says calmly.

"Yo-Yo-"

"Mom," Yo-Yo says firmly, making her shut her mouth. "I'm taking a minute. Okay?" He said, and she nodded slowly. I giggled as I saw Yo-Yo's dad beaming proudly and giving his son a thumbs up.

"Alright, Yo-Yo!" I exclaim, slinging an arm around his shoulders. "Look who grew an eyebrow!" I smile, making the rest of us laugh.

"Get out of here, you riffraff. See you down the road." Billy grins.

"See you, bud." I smile, pecking his cheek and making him blush as he smiles back and then retreats to his mother and father.

"See you, Macaroni." Billy says, moving forward to embrace me.

"Bye, Billy B." I say, giving him a squeeze before moving to hug Nick.

"Hey, keep your chin up, kiddo, okay? Keep us posted on that bakery, too." He smiles.

"Will do." I smile. "Bye, guys."

"Later, Captain." Stuart says to Lyle as the two fist bump.

"See you, Stewie. Take care, shorty." Lyle grinned, ruffling my hair.

I laugh, shaking his hand away and moving to fix my hair. "Bye, Lyle."

Stuart turned to me, gripping the straps of his backpack. "And then there were two."

"Yep." I say, biting my lip. "Hey, don't be a stranger. You better text me." I say, punching his shoulder.

Stuart grins, shrugging. "Forget that. I'll come see you in person." He said, moving forward to wrap me in his arms.

I grin, draping my arms around his neck and nodding. "I'll have to hold you to that, Twombly. I'd like that."

He smiles brightly down at me, bending his head to press his lips to mine. I close my eyes and gladly reciprocate, threading my fingers through his hair. He chuckled into my mouth and my brow furrowed as I pulled away, looking up at him.

"What?"

"Nothing, I just..." He laughed softly. "I can taste the hazelnut creamer on your breath."

I smack his shoulder and he laughs, pulling me close and kissing my lips again.

"You love me." I hum against his lips, looking up at him again. He smiles.

"You have no idea."

La Fin

A/N- YOU GUYS. IT'S OVER. OMG. First of all, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for sticking with me for this long because oh my gosh, seeing you guys' feedback and hearing you tell me you enjoy my stories means everything to me. Thank you so much. Secondly, I've been considering a possible sequel to this story? But I don't really know how that would work? What do you guys think? Do you want to see more of Mack and Stuart? Maybe their life working at Google? Tell me what you think!! I love you guys so much. Thank you again <3 ~Hayden