Chapter 1

A fresh start for a freshman like me, I can’t believe that I’m already here in Taipei. I went here to be independent and to study. My name is Rose Chiu from the Philippines. I’m half-Chinese and half-Filipino. My dad always calls me Xiao Mei (Rose = Mei Gui). He’s in Guangzhou, working as businessman. My mom lives in Manila, teaches English and Music to elementary students at an exclusive private school. I don’t have brothers or sisters. Right, I’m an only child.

It’s September. First day of classes at Ming Dao University but I have a feeling that I had a culture shock. I can’t understand what they are saying! Hope there’s a person who can understand me and can speak in English. Suddenly I heard the girls screaming out loud. There’s a guy coming. He’s good-looking indeed but I think he’s coming towards me. Is he older than me or same age like me?

He asked, “Are you new here?” I nodded. I can’t believe he spoke to me in English. And he asked again, “Where are you from?” “From the Philippines,” I answered nervously. He said, “Ni hao! Wo shi Chen Yi Ru.” Then I said, “Huh? Sorry I can’t understand.” He said it again in English, “Hello! I’m Calvin Chen.” I also said hi and introduced myself to him. Calvin asked, “Where is your room?” “Room 207 but I don’t know where it is,” I replied. He was happy and told me that we are in the same room.

We get to know each other in the first two weeks of classes. I saw the girls feeling jealous of me because I’m always with Calvin. Inside the library, one of those girls approached me and said, “Are you already his girlfriend?” I quickly answered, “No. We’re just friends.” She said, “You don’t know who he really is?” I didn’t answer. She continued, “He is Calvin Chen Yi Ru of Fahrenheit. He’s famous and known as sunshine smile.” I suddenly asked her, “Fahrenheit? What’s that?” She was shocked and said, “You don’t know? For your information, Fahrenheit is a popular group here in Taiwan and Asia. They are composed of 4 members namely Aaron Yan, Jiro Wang, Wu Chun, and Calvin Chen.” Then I asked her another question, “Then why is Calvin here at Ming Dao?” “He decided to pursue his studies while working as host of MTV,” she replied and added “Others have their own projects. Jiro is busy filming drama, Aaron will be releasing his solo album, and Chun is in Brunei, busy doing his business there.” I said, “Wow! Are you their fan?” She nodded and said, “You’re so lucky. You are always with him. But we, we had difficulty approaching him. So please help us.” I didn’t reply to her but I have a bad feeling when I’m talking to her. Then she introduced herself to me, “I’m Maria from Business Management.” I also introduced myself “Oh, I’m Rose from Public Finance.”

Four weeks had passed since the opening of classes. And it’s my birthday! But this is my first birthday that I’m not with my parents. I hope they would call me. Few hours before my first class, someone called me. It was my dad. I was so happy that I am able to talk to my dad. He said that he is still in Guangzhou and wishing me a happy birthday. After few minutes, my mom called. She also greeted me and said that she’s ok in Manila. Well, that was a nice birthday gift from my loving parents. After my class, Calvin invited me to come with him somewhere. We rode in his car. After 10 minutes, we were in the MTV Taiwan studio. I watched him while he was shooting a couple of episodes in his show. Unfortunately, I can’t understand what he’s saying. But surprisingly carrying a bouquet of roses, he suddenly spoke in English and said, “There’s a person who is very special in my heart that is celebrating her first birthday in Taipei.” The MTV staff sang happy birthday. Calvin gave me roses and said, “Sheng ri kuai le! Happy Birthday!” I didn’t expect this. I think this would be my happiest birthday. Then after his taping, he asked, “How was it?” I only smiled to him and appreciate his effort. Then he said, “Let’s eat. I’m so hungry.” I laughed at him and accepted his invitation. Thirty minutes from the MTV Taiwan studio, we are in an expensive restaurant offering Chinese cuisine. We sat at took our order. We had so fun eating delicious food while chatting about any topics regarding our lives. After an hour and a half, Calvin asked something, “Do you have a boyfriend?” I asked him, “Why are you asking me a question like that?” “Just answer my question first,” he said. I replied, “Ok. I don’t have boyfriend. Why?” “Really? You’re so beautiful and you still don’t have a boyfriend,” he said and added, “Let’s date.” I was so shocked! Would I say yes or no?