Prologue

I woke up again for the second time tonight to my mom and dad fighting. This time it was worse. I heard screaming and glass breaking, then a loud bang. I sit up and stare at my door waiting for somebody to barge in because I can hear footsteps coming closer and closer. Each second my heart pounded rapidly.

The door opened and revealed my mom with bloody hands. I rush to her side, she holds the door open and turns on the light.

"Come on, you have to go." She tells me bringing me to hers and my dads room. She locks the door and blocks it with a desk.

"Mom, what's going on?" I asked while shaking.

"You have to leave, far." She says not saying anything else.

She starts rummaging through her closet. She pulls out a bag, she opens it and I see a lot of money.

"Aryana, I love you so much you know that? It's not safe for you to be here anymore. Your dad isn't all there in the head and he just tried to kill me, I knocked him out for now but I'm not too sure how much longer he'll be out for." She begins. When they first started dating he warned her about his illness, he can't control it.
"I love your dad, he loves you and I. The illness, he can't control it and it's becoming stronger. It's just not safe, and his anger and everything, it's not safe and soon he'll try to hurt you too." She explains. I'm not too sure how to feel. I want to cry but nothing is coming out, I want to scream but my mouth feels like it's taped shut.

"Ary, you need to listen very carefully. Take my car and drive to the airport. By a plane ticket to... San Diego. Don't look back. When I'm out of jail I'll come for you and we can start over." Jail? Why is she going to jail?

"Jail!? Why would you go there?" I ask her bewildered. She hesitates.

"I shot your dad and he might be dead."