Chapter 15

"So you don't recall your last time seeing Mr.Hamlin?" The police officer asked while leaning over me.

I shook my head no.

"But you claimed he raped you in these police reports." He spoke pulling out documents.

My face twisted in confusion as he spoke.

"Can I have my phone call?" I asked.

"Your not in jail. Not yet. You're free to call who you please." He smirked.

I could feel a lump of saliva clog my throat as I rose from the chair.

"Where's the phone?" I asked.

"Down the hall." He pointed while resting his back against the wall.

     I walked down the narrow hall slowly.

Quickly, I dialed Andre's number and waited patiently until hearing his voice.

"What's up?"

"Andre, I'm in jail. I was walking and out of nowhere some cop handcuffed me and now I'm up here. They're asking me questions about Martel-"

Before I could finish my sentence he disconnected the call.

My eyes widened as I listened to the operator's voice. I slammed the phone down and covered my face with my hands. A murder charge was not on my list of things to do. After 10 minutes of staring blankly into my palms, I stood to my feet.

      I regained my composure and walked back inside of the room for questioning.

"Kerensa, we just need you to cooperate." The policeman spoke placing his hand on my shoulder.

I cut my eyes at him and exhaled deeply. Before I could part my lips, I heard screaming echoing from the lobby. The policeman walked out of the area and into the lobby, I followed closely.

   "Aye, let her go or it's gone be some shit." Andre cursed at the female policeman.

"Sir, calm down." She spoke.

"Come on Kerensa, you ain't gotta answer shit." He barked.

"I suggest you calm down boy." The male policeman spoke stepping in front of Andre.

"Or what? Yall ain't got shit on her. You can't force her to do shit." He mugged.

"Who do you think you are?" The policeman spoke moving closer.

I grabbed Andre's hand in attempts to pull him away from the officer.

"Na, get back Kerensa." He spoke nudging me off.

"You didn't read her her rights." Andre spoke.

The police man's eyes pierced through Andre.

"Unless you tryna get a nasty ass lawsuit, I suggest you back up and let her go, boy." Andre mocked.

The police officer clenched his jaws and stormed off, leaving everyone in the lobby.

       I followed Andre out of the police station and got into the passengers seat of his truck.

"I thought you weren't coming. You hung up in my face and I thought-"

"You was talking to much." He spoke pulling out of the parking lot.

I sighed heavily while realizing how stupid it was to talk over a monitored call.

"I hope you didn't open your fucking mouth." He hissed.