After her birthday lunch, I took Kenna to the Sanderson's place, made sure she had all her things (there wasn't much) and reminded her to make sure she took her medication. We sat and talked with her new foster-mother and siblings, as it was a Sunday afternoon and most of them were home. They all seemed to hit it off well, and I took my leave once Kenna told me she had unpacked. I told her I would continue visiting for a while until I knew for sure whether it was going to work or not, and that I would be in touch.

After four months, I closed her file. Everyone makes mistakes, and after reading Kenna's diary that was recovered, I know just how wrong I was. These are just a few of the entries, though almost every day was disturbing to read.

February 23, 2012

Dear Diary,

I'm starting to think Ms Radcliffe made a mistake when she left me here. Mrs. Sanderson is okay I guess, but Heath and Paul are horrible, and I'm not even sure Gwen is human. How can someone be such a nightmare? She wouldn't stop complaining that she had to cover her mirror with "ugly curtains" and she's refusing to leave it covered. It points right at my bed and I saw him again, hovering over me, watching me with his empty face.

I screamed – I couldn't help it! All she did was call her brothers in so they could all laugh at me.

I hate them. I'm just glad they haven't found you.

Love, Kenna

March 17, 2012

Dear Diary,

While Mrs. Sanderson was out today, Heath and Paul jumped out at me, dressed like what they think the Thin Man looks like. I shouldn't have told them anything. Gwen thought it was hilarious, of course and took it one step further. She made them hold me down while she sat on me – she's really heavy – and made me look in her hand held mirror for 10 whole minutes before they got bored and wandered off.

He's getting closer. I wonder what's going to happen if he catches me? I don't know, but at this rate it would probably be better than staying here.

Love, Kenna

April 30, 2012

Dear Diary,

I had that dream again, about the night my parents died, and when I first saw the Thin Man. I was looking at the ornaments on the tree, the pretty red ones that were my favorite, and I saw daddy standing there with the knife looking at mom, the Thin Man standing behind him, saying something in his ear. I can see mom grab the poker and force it through daddy's head, and keep beating him until there was only chunks left. She told me it would be okay, that I wouldn't hurt anymore... I think that's when she saw the Thin Man, watching her, with those long, black whisps coming off his back and picking up the knife. I saw him cut her up, but I couldn't turn around... I could only see it through the reflection in the ornament.

That's when the police show up and take me to their car, where I stay sitting by myself until I the big black bags mom and daddy are in come out on the stretchers. In the dream I'm looking through the rear-view mirror, and the Thin Man is looking back.

Why won't that dream stop? I don't want to think about it anymore!

I'm going to go downstairs and get some water. Goodnight.

Love, Kenna

May 3, 2012

Dear Diary,

It's been three days since Mrs. Sanderson said I'm doing well enough that she thinks it's time to take the curtains down. There must be a mirror in every room now, and whenever I walk by I can see him. I've been trying to cover them back up, but whenever I get close enough I see him waiting for me. I'm scared that if I don't cover them again he'll find me!