Chapter 13 - New Acquaintance

The sound of native woodland birds woke me from my sleep at sunrise, as I opened my eyes I became aware of my surroundings, the cold air that surrounded me bit into my skin and the hard rocky ground caused my body to ache. I stretched my body and let out a groan sound as my joints popped after sleeping on the hard ground. I stood up expecting to be on all fours and in my cheetah form but as I stood I realised that I was in my human form again.

I looked down at my naked vulnerable self and subconsciously tried to cover my body with my hands even though no person or animal appeared to be in the cave or even aware of my presence in this foreign part of land. I must've shifted back to my human form after the nights sleep for some reason.

I've never heard of this happening before, but my best guess as to why I shifted during the night was that I must've been in my shifted form for too long without returning to my human form which subconsciously made me shift. Being in my cheetah form is somewhat addicting, it gives me a rush and makes me feel like I can do anything. All my senses are heightened and I can run faster than any other creature in this world but strangely enough being back in my human form after so long as a cheetah is comforting in a way and reminds me that I'm not invincible and of the person that I am.

After sitting in the cave for a few minutes thinking of what to do next I figure that now is a better time than any to shift back into my less vulnerable cheetah form. I feel my bones crack and manipulate themselves into a new form.  Shifting is not a painful experience anymore like it was the first time I shifted, but it is a little uncomfortable and feels like a mild cramp.

I decide to leave the cave and continue heading in the opposite direction to where the pack is located. The forest all looks the same and if it weren't for my sense of smell I would've sworn that I'd been through here before. I continue ahead at a pace that is fast, but not fast enough to wear me out.

I take care with each step to make as little noise as possible and to take in every part of my surroundings taking full advantage of all my senses.

I continue ahead determined to find a new place to call home. Suddenly a loud crack sounds from behind me and I turn my head to see a large silhouette of a creature behind me. Without second thought I take off bolting in the direction I was heading before, I skilfully avoid any obstacles such as logs and ditches on the forest floor with one thought in mind. I need to escape.

Without slowing down I think to myself that the creature must be a shifter as it's far too large to be any animal native to these forests. I didn't even notice until I reached it but ahead is a road! If I follow this road I'll eventually reach some kind of civilisation, I stay in the cover of the forest to avoid any cars seeing me and continue sprinting through the woods. I can hear the slight sound of leaves rustling behind me which must mean I'm still being chased by the unknown shifter, I don't want to stop to find out what it wants because the chances are that it's a rouge.

After running for 10 minutes I can smell the unmistakable scent of humans which means that I'm almost at the town. I push myself ahead to gain more ground between myself and my pursuer. Ahead is a low fence that I can see over, in the backyard behind the house is a clothes line with multiple items pegged to it drying. I leap over the fence and run to the clothes line while shifting. All that's on the line other than sheets  is a men's tee shirt and pair of sweat pants. 'They'll need to do' I think to myself as I rip them from the line and hurriedly put them on.

Before leaving the yard I glance over the fence and my stomach sinks. Over the other side of the fence my eyes lock with those of another and I'm immediately drawn to them. I consciously break contact with them only to realise that I'm staring another cheetah straight in the eyes.

I feel myself beginning to become faint after I come to the realisation that I'm not alone. The world grows darker as I lose consciousness from the shock.