Chapter 13

Danny's Point of View

I woke up in my mom's arms and as I started to move she looked down, giving me a small, sad smile. She had dark circles under her eyes, apparently, she took all the watches last night.

"Hey, honey. It's still ten minutes before we need to wake up the others. Why don't you get the food ready?" She whispered gently.

I nodded my head and tiptoed over to the food. I quickly split up the snack bars making sure everyone had an equal amount.  I also checked over our water cans, filling those that were close to empty in the near by pool, and took stock of what food we had left.

All the while Phantom was quietly offering support and trying to tell me it wasn't my fault. I didn't really believe him but let the issue drop when my mom started waking the other kids. Vita was the last one to be woken, mom gently shaking and mumbling sweet greeting and quiet mornings.

Everyone offered mornings, greetings, and reassuring words to her but she seemed not to care. It was deathly silent for the rest of breakfast. (Pun unintended)

We started walking again with Vita in the back this time, she kept her head down a look of deep thought covered her face. The other students quietly talked to each other each unsure of who should be the first to approach the quiet girl. Finally, mom decided she had enough of talking and debating, taking action and walking over to Vita.

"Hey honey, I know you must be feeling awful and I can understand wanting to mourn alone but, we are all here for you. You're not alone in this, and you need to be strong for us to get out of here, okay?"

"I know Mrs. Fenton and thank you for being so understanding. I'm sorry I haven't been acting like myself, I've just been trying to figure out where that portal lead too."

Everyone stopped moving at that, we had all forgotten to try and figure out where she was. Zero could still be alive! 

"I thought I saw a castle but I didn't get a very good look," Vita said.

"Vita you're a genius! We can ask Clockwork to help us see where she went, and Frostbite could help us find a portal to take us there." I yelled giving Vita a hug.

"Thank you, Danny."

I smiled, maybe I could save Zero yet.

"Um, Danny dear, who's Frostbite?"