Beginnings and Ends

Start from the beginning

The mere idea brought a shiver of excitement to her world as she readied the supposed china set. Her plan after moving was vague but she knew one thing, she wanted to make something of her life, do something important, learn more about herself and in the end make her uncle and her mother proud. Perhaps even persuade her mother to leave Kelpmonth. With Alexander by her side she always felt empowered, and the possibilities endless.

The urge in her renewed itself. The heck with John! She wasn't about to allow him to stomp on her mood as he so often did, not today nor in the upcoming two months. She plastered a smile on her face as a dutiful PA would and gathered the tray in her hand, marching straight to Drake's office door.

With the bud of her shoe, Milira attempted a knock on the door.

"Come in." The booming voice of Drake drifted through the door, and Milira entered the room, using her back to open the door, careful not to spill the context on the tray.

Behind an enormous walnut desk, Drake sat watching her, his catchy grin turning her forced smile into a more natural and relaxing one. Compared to his Scrooge of a brother, Drake was a big-heart, husky man, whose kindness stretched as far as his belt buckle. She adored him for his innovation and love towards the citizens of the town. A town which was known for having penny size salaries, except when you worked for Drake Wondale.

Milira placed the tray onto the office table and held Drake's green-eyed focus. Sincerity and cheerfulness glinted in them; his grin spread to an open-mouthed smile as he jumped up from his chair.

"Thank you, child." Drake said, rounding the desk.

Milira nodded, "Would that be all?"

"Before you leave, let me introduce you to my cousin."

Milira turned around only to get a view of a man's backside as he gazed out through the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the town. I doubt he's seeing much through that layer of grime. No one bothered to keep any windows clean due to the winds. Here the buildings blended in with the sand-blanket environment. After copious effort on her part to keep the building clean, she gave up and embraced its russet mood.

As much as she wanted to escape, the sculpted back of the man who still hadn't turned around, piqued her curiosity. Whether because Kelpmonth had a lack of visitors to its town, or because of the feminine alert in her mind for admiration, she didn't know. His pressed suit clung to his broad shoulders while his silver-plated watch gleamed in the sunlight. Dark, almost midnight black hair, curved over his crisp collar as both of his hands were tucked away in his pants. She knew John and Drake shared the biggest amount of wealth in town, but the sheer elegance the man exuded was foreign to her and the town. No wonder John was extra touchy today. He wanted to impress the newcomer.

Milira watched and waited as Drake moved across the room, touching his cousin's shoulder and pulling his attention away from the window.

The man turned around, flashing her a lopsided smile which made her inner voice purr in admiration and admire she did, until her knees turned unsteady and her heart thumped against her rib cage. Don't get man-stricken, Mil. No matter how handsome the man was, spending time with any man would be a waste. When she left, she didn't need a man tying her down. Nevertheless, she enjoyed beauty when it crossed her path.

The man raised one eyebrow, a smug smile complementing the man's angular jaw while meeting her awed expression, a glint of knowing sparkling in his eyes. He was clearly aware of the attention he attracted. He pulled a relaxed hand out of his pocket before moving to loosen his tie.

The man paused in his actions. What laid in his mind, Milira couldn't read from looking alone. Despite his flawed personality, she sensed he had built walls around himself. From experience she learned people who acted approachable and looked approachable usually had the most baggage. She briefly wondered about his life as she traced the length of his angular fingers while he continued to keep her gaze. Mentally she shook her head, and pulled back an inch. The sooner she left the man's vicinity, the sooner her brain would refocus on its indented plans. Milira took the initiative and jutted out her hand in greeting.