The Sleeping Bud Burst into Bloom

John's P.O.V.

After Savannah and I had argued I had decided to do something dumb. Really dumb.

Soon enough, I found myself sitting in the police office, my hand bandaged and a pounding headache.

One of the younger, rookie officers, Thomas Ardmore, came up to me and said with a grave look on his young face, "You're lucky that they need you so bad for the Raven case. But your pushing your luck bud, you should be happy that they are only giving you a fine."

For once, I felt an ounce of guilt settle on my shoulders for all I had put these cops through. I set my head in my hands and rubbed my temples as I said, "Yeah, I know."

"Well, having a fake ID, drinking as a minor, and getting into a fight at a bar wasn't smart of you."

I nodded as memories of what happened in my drunken haze seeped through my pounding brain.

I remember using a fake ID to order a few beers at a nearby bar, and eventually getting wasted. However, I didn't remember getting into a fight with some guy at a bar.

I woke up in the police station with my fists bruised and wrapped. Only later did I find out that I started a fight and knocked the guy out. He was fine was apparently very angry with me, though I could hardly blame him.

"Either way, you're free to go. Do you need a ride somewhere?" Thomas asked and I was silent as I thought for a moment. I wasn't really sure where I was suppose to go. It was almost one in the morning and I couldn't go back home. Jonah, Reese, and Brayden all had families I didn't want to wake up, and most of all I couldn't go back there. Not tonight. If I showed up with a cop they would be suspicious.

Finally I looked up and said, "Yeah, I have a place."

Fifteen minutes later we pulled up in front of the house. It was shady looking on the outside, especially with all the lights off, but I knew that the worse that could come to me here were harsh words.

"Are you sure?" I heard Thomas ask. I nodded as I climbed out, "A childhood friend of mine lives here." 

I walked up the cracked and weed filled sidewalk, the air cool now that the sun's warm heat was gone. When I got to the door, I braced myself and gently rang the bell. Inside the small house I heard an off tune doorbell rang.

Thomas sat in his car waiting while a window flickered on upstairs. A minute later the front door creaked open and Savannah's sleepy face appeared.

I felt self concious and slightly abashed as she looked from me to the cop car with a sleepy, yet curious look on her face.

"Um, hey Nana. Do you mind if I crash here, just for tonight?" I asked, rubbing the back of my neck uncomfortably.

She looked one more time at the cop car then opened the door widere saying quietly, "Yeah, come in."

I gave Thomas a reassuring wave before stepping into the house. The entryway was still being painted and I carefully stepped over a can of primer. Looking down I found Savannah looking up at me wearing shorts and a sweatshirt with her hair up in a messy bun.

She closed the door and locked the locks before saying, "Follow me." I followed behind her as she padded softly into the kitchen. It was completely done with the red paint and I couldn't help but appreciate the effort she put into it.

"Does your head hurt?" she asked as she kept walking towards the stairs across the room. 

"Uh, yeah, a bit," I said, following her up the stairs. She led me through her room into the bathroom where she grabbed me a cup and two ibuprofens. She filled the cup and handed it and the medicine to me.