The Wedding

The Wedding

Five years later:

I slid the last light pink flower bobby pin into Kaylee's hair and stepped back. She looked gorgeous. She smiled at me in the mirror and we both examined her appearance.

The dress was white with a lace corset and a strapless sweetheart neckline. The dress fell down into beautiful gauzy folds that ended at her ankles. She wore matching lace covered white heels. Her auburn hair was up in a beautiful complicated braid, dotted with light pink pins, and her makeup was light with mascara, matching light pink eyeshadow, light blush, and lipstick.

The most beautiful thing about her however, was the glow that surrounded her. She radiated happiness and there was a permanent small smile stuck to her face.

"You look beautiful," I breathed. She smiled at me and my mother finally looked up from her phone in the corner. She got to her feet saying, "Absolutely gorgeous!"

Mom turned to grab the veil and I rolled my eyes at Kaylee. She smiled at me and patted my hand saying, "I can handle the rest from here, you might want to go get ready. We need to be ready in an hour."

I nodded, squeezed her hand and turned to leave as my mother bustled to Kaylee's side. I grabbed my dress, still in its case, and draped it over my arm.

I made my way out of the building and started to walk towards the church where the maid's of honor changing rooms were. It was a beautiful day with a jewel blue sky, bright sunshine, and puffy clouds passing through on a light breeze. The birds chirped in the swaying trees, and the grass was an emerald green from the recent rain.

It was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed it as I walked down the cobblestone sidewalk on my way over to the exquisite pre-Vatican church.

I closed my eyes and breathed in the cool morning air, completely content. Suddenly, my eyes snapped open as an acrid smell made it's way into my nose.

I rounded the corner and my eyes went wide at the seen that met me. John leaned up against the wall of the chapel, smoking a cigarette.

His hair was still a light blonde, but the roots were now dyed a deep brown and stood up in peaks. He was in a pair of dark jeans the slung low across his hips, and his toned arms, abs, and chest stood out under his gray muscle tee. He had his right ear pierced, and from my position I could see tattoos dancing along his chest, stomach, arms, and curling up over his shoulders under his shirt to his back. He glanced over at me lazily and smirked at me as he pulled out his cigarette. "If it isn't little Nana."

I wrinkled my nose in disgust, "Hello John."

I could say that since the incident in seventh grade, we had drifted apart to the point of where we hated each other. He had turned into an annoying, bad-ass, player who got into a lot of trouble. I, on the other hand, had cut and managed my frizzy hair so that it now naturally curled into pretty ringlets, put in contacts, took off the braces, and figured out that by washing my face I could get rid of all my acne. My teeth were now white and straight, and I had figured out hair and makeup. I wore the popular, modest clothing that was in style in London. In all, I had turned into a lady. That small spiteful part of me, however, held a grudge against John, and no longer thought of him as my childhood friend.

"No longer Johnny?" he asked, grounding out his cigarette. I held my head high and walked up to him. "No. I noticed that you chose not to be one of Shaun's best men.