“Yea… you’ll miss out on all the fun,” MacKenzie adds. Alex glares at her and I take that as my cue to leave. I walk up behind Phil and tap him on his shoulder. He spins around, nearly dropping the cup in his hand.

“Y/N!?” he asks in surprise.

“Hi Philip,” I smile. He puts his cup down on the table so he can pull me into a hug.

“I hardly recognized you, Mini Me. You look amazing.”

“Thanks.” I pull out of the hug and look down at my dress.

“I feel good in it,” I smile, “Where’s Dan?”

“In the toilets fixing his hair probably.” I reach up and straighten Phil’s bowtie.

“Phil,” I hear a voice say, “Are you sure this looks okay? Maybe I should have worn the other shirt…” Dan’s walking up behind Phil, his hand tugging at his hair.

“Dan you look fine. Doesn’t he Y/N?” I take in Dan’s appearance and I can’t help but let out a giggle. Dan was wearing a leather button-up. I didn’t even know those existed. It was extremely fitted, and fit him quite nicely might I add. But that’s not what made me giggle. We kind of matched. Him with his shirt and me with the leather on my bodice.

“Y/N!?” Dan looks at me just like Phil had, only with a hint of something else.

“You look… absolutely stunning. Gorgeous.” Phil looks between us with a weird look on his face.

“You two planned this, didn’t you?” “Dan looks at him in confusion, “Planned wh–“ He takes another look at what I’m wearing before he bursts out laughing.

“We match,” he smiles. He leans into, lowering his voice, “Almost as if you should be my date instead.” He winks at me and I feel myself blush.

“I, uh… I should probably get back to…” I gesture behind me. Dan’s smile drops briefly.

“We’ll be around. Come find us when you get bored of your date,” Dan says. Phil nudges Dan. Dan looks at him and shrugs. I say goodbye to the boys again before making my way back to Alex’s side.

“Hey,” he greets, “ I was afraid you weren’t coming back.”

“I’m here with you tonight,” I say, “I’m not going to ditch you.” He gives me a sad smile. That feeling comes back. He’s acting really strange, and I don’t like it. Not one bit. Alex left me alone with the girls so he and the guys could get us some drinks. I was standing awkwardly to the side of the group, just listening to them laugh and complain.

“Can you believe Toby wanted to wear orange?” MacKenzie says, “It would have totally clashed with my dress.” Our dates come back at that moment.

“You mean kind of like how Y/N and Alex don’t match?” a girl I don’t know sneers.

“Abby…” Alex warns.

“I’m just saying,” she shrugs.

“We can fix that,” MacKenzie says. She’s giving me a weird look.

“Fix wh–“ What happened next seemed to happen in slow motion. I watched as MacKenzie’s hand holding her cup raised. Before I even had time to react, the contents of her cup were all over my face and seeping down into my dress. I stood there dumbfounded. The gymnasium got really quiet. Whispers were heard all around me. Don’t cry. Don’t cry. Don’t cry in front of these people.

“If you honestly thought someone like you could hang out with us… you were wrong.”

“Kenzie!”