How Do You Girl?

I am actually the worse excuse for a girl ever. I decided against going to school today. Wow, I was really becoming quite the rebel. I just wasn’t up to being ignored by the only two friends I have. I lounged around the house for a while, and decided I was bored out of my mind. So I decided to go shopping for a dress. This was a terrible idea. I’m not a girly girl. I don’t know the first thing about dressing nice.

I scanned through the racks of dresses. Not really looking at them. This whole process annoyed me. Why couldn’t I just wear jeans and a cute top to the dance? Well, I probably could if I wasn’t going with the school quarterback. Now, I have to fit a certain standard. One that proves I’m worthy enough to be there with Alex. I’d accomplish a lot more if I knew how to be a girl!

“Hi!” a cheery voice says from behind me, “Is there anything I can help you with?” I turn around, slightly startled.

“Oh, uh… I’m just trying to find a dress for a dance.”

“Well, I can help you with that! I’m Amie, by the way.” The very perky blonde grabbed my wrist and proceeded to drag me to another corner of the shop. She started chattering excitedly at how I was the first customer to come in that actually needed something. I could already tell I was not going to have fun with this. She skimmed through the racks and soon my arms were full of dresses. She began pushing me towards the dressing rooms.

“Now make sure you try on each one and come out and show me!” she smiles. I went through 3 dresses before I even liked one I put on. It was a long-sleeved black skater dress with cutouts at the shoulders. It was really casual, and I could easily see myself pairing it with my combat boots. I stepped out of the dressing room to show Amie.

“Wow,” she says with wide eyes, “You look really comfortable in that one. And it fits you nicely.” I tugged at the skirt’s hemline.

“I don’t think this is what I’m looking for for the dance,” I admit, “But I do like this one.” I went back into my dressing room and tried on another dress. The next one was strapless with a white lace bodice and red skirt. It was a little more of what I was looking for, but I didn’t necessarily want to go strapless. That would mean I’d need a strapless bra, and my night would just be me adjusting myself. The next dress I tried on actually had me go, “oh my god,” out loud. I heard Amie squeal on the other side of the door and demand that I come out immediately.

“Oh my gosh,” Amie says as I step out, “I wasn’t sure how that one would work, but I thought I’d try anyway.” The dress was leather with a bustier bodice and a pleated and pintucked skirt. The dress was classy with a touch of edge to it.

“How do you feel about heels?” Amie asked me. She didn’t even give me a chance to answer before she ran off to who knows where. I look at myself in the mirror, swaying my hips a bit so the skirt flares out. I actually felt pretty. A couple bracelets and a simple necklace, and this outfit was perfect. Amie came back moments later with a pair of heels in her hands.

“That’s like a 10-inch heel!” I exclaimed. Amie chuckled, “It’s only 4. You’ll be fine. So I thought these would up the class factor. Instead of pairing the dress with boots, some cute cutout t-strap heels. The buckles on the side add to the edginess of the dress. Try them on. Let’s see this all together.” As per her request, I slip the heels on. I must admit, they do kind of complete the look. Amie started spouting off ways for me to accessorize, but I had tuned her out. This was actually happening. I was actually willingly going to a school dance. With a date. And I was going to look decent!

“Thank you so much for all your help,” I say to Amie as she rings up my purchases.

“Oh, it’s no problem. It’s my job after all.” I left the shops that day with two dresses, a pair of heels and an empty wallet. I’d call it a success. I pulled my phone out of my bag. I’d been in the shops for a while; school had been let out a bit ago. I expected there to be a message from Phil, but I forgot he currently wasn’t speaking to me. This was really starting to take its toll on me. I sighed and tossed my phone back into my bag. I looked at my surroundings and noticed a Starbucks nearby.