“About that talk…” Dan begins.

“We have work to do,” I mumble. Dan rolls his eyes and opens his book. I’m not joking when I say this, he finished all 20 questions in 10 minutes. He put his pencil down, and then looked at me with a sweet smile.

“Ready to talk now?” he asked.

“How did you… what?”

“English is one of my best subjects. Plus, I’d already read this story at my old school,” he shrugged. I stared at him. My mind started reeling. Dan might come in handy. I was currently just passing English with a low C.

“Y/N!” Dan nudged me lightly, “You still there?”

“Yea, sorry. What?” I shook my head to clear my head.

“About yesterday…” he says quietly. He looks away from me bashfully.

“I didn’t mean to… I mean…” he frowns, “I didn’t mean to almost see what I almost saw. I didn’t know your room was right across from Phil’s!” I blushed slightly.

“Dan, it’s fine. I should have checked that the window wasn’t wide open.” I put a hand on my forehead and sighed. I chuckled slightly as I remembered what happened last night.

“So… what are we telling Phil?”

“Nothing,” I said rather bluntly, “Phil’s like my brother. I’d rather not have a conversation with him about how his best friend saw me in a towel.”

“Best friend? Really?” The bell rings then and we both gather up our books. Dan walks with me to my locker. I shrug, going back to our previous conversation.

“Phil’s a nice guy, as you know,” I say, “But you… you’re different. He trusts you. I’ve lived next door to him for years, and he’s never brought a friend over.” Dan smiles softly. He leans up against the locker next to mine.

“He’s a good friend. It hasn’t been easy switching schools. I have to start all over. Not that that’s necessarily difficult. I didn’t really interact much with people at my old school.” I shut my locker and face Dan.

“I didn’t really think about that. Well, you’re doing better than I am. Phil is still my only friend. People here seem to like you.”

“Hey guys!” Phil runs up to us, “What are you doing standing around? We’re going to be late!” Phil grabs me by my elbow; I barely have enough time to shut my locker. Dan runs up to keep up with us. He leans down to my ear.

“By the way,” he whispers, “I think you can add one more person onto your list of friends.” I look up at him and smile.

The three of us enter our science class. We’re not late, but we are the last ones to arrive. The only open table is one front and center. I groan and take a seat in the middle.

“You guys aren’t acting weird anymore,” Phil notes. Dan and I share a look.

“Weird? We were acting weird? Maybe you’re still sick, Phil.” I put a hand to his head and he slaps it away.

“I’m serious guys!” Phil whines, “Dan you were being weird after Y/N left. And then Y/N you just ran off this morning. Did you two kiss or something?”

“What!?” Dan and I exclaimed.  Our teacher immediately reprimanded us. I punched Phil in his arm. He clutched his arm, but he couldn’t hide his smile.

“Please, it wasn’t anything that drastic,” Dan said, “I just saw her in a towel.” His eyes widened. I turned to face him, my jaw dropped.

“Dan!” I hissed.

“You what?” Phil leaned over the table.

“I said nothing.” Dan tried to shrink into his stool. It was not working. I covered my face with my hands. This was not happening. Phil was still staring at us both. His blue eyes were swimming with questions that he was determined to get answered.

“You practically saw her naked, and neither of you is going to tell me what happened?” Phil frowned.

“It’s not that big a deal,” I shrug.

“It was an accident!” Dan says at the same time. We opened our science books, so it appeared we were doing work. Dan went into a brief explanation of what happened. Phil had sent him up to his room to get something. After he’d found what he was looking for, he just so happened to look up at the window. At the same time, I’d just come into his field of vision and Dan was frozen to the spot. He was shocked to see me, first of all, and even more so when he realized I was just in a towel.

“I didn’t mean to stare,” he defended himself, “ But I am a guy. What else am I supposed to do in that situation?”

“Cover your eyes and walk away.” Phil said it like it was the most logical thing to do in the world.

“Well, pardon me for staring at a pretty girl,” Dan rolls his eyes.

“Can we please stop talking abou– you think I’m pretty?” I blink a few times then look over at Dan. His whole face and his neck turns bright red.

“I… what?” he stammers. I look away from him with a small smile on my face. I couldn’t help the giddy feeling from rising up through me. Dan thinks I’m pretty. The hot, new guy thinks I’m pretty. I could barely contain the girlish giggle that was threatening to come out.