04

Veronica

"Here's your schedule, Ms. Clearwater," the secretary says, my time table held out to me with her shaky hand.

"Thanks," I mutter, forcefully smiling at her as I grab the sheet of paper before shouldering the door open. I make sure I'm a ways away from the office before I glance down at my schedule.

1st- English
2nd- Spanish
3rd- History
4th- Chemistry
5th- Lunch
6th- Gym
7th- Trigonometry
8th- Free Period

After Jake squeezed every possible answer about Bella out of me, I was finally allowed to escape his questions. I loved Jacob like a brother, I really did, but I couldn't handle his constant pestering.

With a sigh, I slowly make my way towards my first period class. School was the last place where I wanted to be. Anywhere other than my bed are the last places I want to be.

I yank the door open, walking in with my eyes trailed on the teacher. I hand her the slip of paper, excusing me for being late due to my trip to the office.

"Veronica, better late than never." The teacher, whose name I couldn't care to learn, said. Chuckles within the student cause me to look up. "Please take your seat."

In the back of the classroom, Jake and Quil are snickering as quietly as they can. I roll my eyes, nodding to my teacher before moving down the rows to sit by my friends.

"Word of advice," Quil leans forward, whispering in my ear. "Don't be late to this class again."

•••

I throw myself into a bar stool behind a lab table. I had only been to three classes, not including the Chemistry class I had just entered. My first two periods, which I was lucky enough to have friends with in each of them, had gone fine.

But last period, History, and this period, I was alone in.

I laid my head down on the lab table, letting out a long sigh. I wanted nothing more than to go home, lay down, and forget. Forget everything.

Forget the Cullens. Forget what they did to me and to Bella. Forget what Leah said to me this morning.

Forget everything that's happened in the last few days.

I lift my head up, running my fingers through my hair, attempting to tame the ratty mess. The class has begun to fill up, the seat next to me still vacant.

The classroom door opens and two, tall and muscular boys - no men - walk in. They have short, spiky black hair and russet skin. Skin matching my own.

I knew from what I've been told who these boys were, everyone in La Push did. And everyone knew the rumors that circulated around them. Given, I never spend much time on the Reservation after the rumors began to grow - I was always in Fork, being young and dumb with a guy I thought I loved.

The only people I occasionally hung out with from La Push were my cousins, Jake, Quil, and Embry.

I knew one of them, we had once been friends. The stories were true about them. Since the last time I saw Paul, which was when we were around ten, he had practically doubled his muscle side and added two feet to his height.

The other boy, I only knew his name. Jared Cameron. Friend of Sam Uley. The Sam that broke his and Leah's engagement and her heart.

I knew staring at them was a bad idea. Even I knew that messing with Sam and his followers was a bad idea and staring at them only made it worse but I couldn't help it.

Truth be told, ever since I was a young girl, I'd had a tiny crush on Paul. One of those elementary to middle school crushes on one of your guy friends.

And him being in my class, looking like he does, should've made me giddy. But it didn't and that's why I couldn't stop staring.

I didn't feel anything inside. I didn't feel sad or heartbroken. I didn't feel happy or attracted to Paul in any way.

I really knew that staring was a bad idea when both Paul and Jared's heads turned towards me. I kept my face emotionless as my eyes flickered between theirs.

Paul stared back at me, his face without a doubt mirroring my own blank one. Jared, on the other hand, had a look of shock with a dash of panic.

His eyes were wide with his mouth slightly hanging open as his eyes peered into mine. He didn't move and neither did I, brown eyes meeting with hazel.

The longer he stared, the more comfortable I felt under his watch. Something about him told me that I was safe and secure - that no harm would be done to me from now on.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from him and neither could he - my one way gaze turning into the longest staring contest ever held.

It had to have been a few minutes before Paul grabbing onto Jared's arm, giving it a rough tug. Jared broke our staring contest as we both looked to Paul's hand on his arm.

Anger flared in me as I watched Paul's grip tighten before yanking Jared out of the classroom. The door slam behind them made me flinch, snapping me out of the daze I had fallen into.

For the rest of class, and practically the rest of the day, the two boys in the doorway of my chemistry period had swirled around my head. Their hurried exit interested me - why did they have to leave so quickly? But more interestingly, who made them leave so quickly?

At the end of the day, I walked out to my car to see Seth already leaning against it. I forcefully smiled at him, unlocking the car with my keys as I got closer.

"How was your first day?" He ask, pulling the door open and quickly sliding in. I copy his actions, tossing my bag into the backseat before sticking the keys into the ignition.

"It was okay," I say, putting the car into reverse and backing out of the parking space.

"Can you drop me off at my friend's house?" Seth asks me, rolling down his window.

"Yeah," I say, pulling out of the parking lot. "I'm going to Bella's, anyways."

•••

oh shit why did jared stare at her like that🤔🤔 hm i wonder why!

-M