Maybe, just maybe.

Montgomery and I pushed our way through the crowd. He kept a tight grip on my hand. I kept my head down and eyes focused on the ground because every time I looked up, I saw stares and heard whispers. "I bet she did it on purpose because she's so obsessed with him." "So much for having a good body, she's gonna lose that soon and then he really won't want her." "Is she that ignorant to think that Monty of all people is gonna commit to her just because she's having his baby?" Those were just some of the cruel and hurtful things I heard people saying about me. I could tell that Monty heard them too because he kept tensing up. Before I knew it he stormed over to the speakers that were playing music and shut it off. He turned around to everyone, his veins popping out of his neck because he was so mad. "If I hear one more fucking person saying anything negative about Marci, I'm gonna fuck you up and that's a fucking promise!" He spat at everyone listening. "Leave her alone and talk shit about me if you wanna talk. I'm still gonna fuck you up though... Anyone wanna try?" He said stepping forward, tempting anyone to try him. Jeff came out of nowhere and put his hand on Montgomery's shoulder trying to calm him down. "Dude, they're not worth it. Just let it go." He said calmly. I looked around and spotted Jessica, Hannah, Sherri, Justin, and Clay, who I had now decided was definitely into Hannah, watching the scene off to the side. Jessica started to walk towards me like she was going to save me until Justin pulled her back and whispered something in her ear. Probably telling her to let Jeff handle it because he was more capable of staying calm. "Just be there for Marci, bro." Jeff told Monty, his hand still on his shoulder. Monty surprisingly nodded and wrapped his arm around me and pulled me in close to him. He leaned down to whisper something to me and that's when I smelled it. His breath smelled so strong of hard liquor and weed that it took every ounce of willpower I had in me not to puke everywhere right then and there. Pregnant me could not handle that smell, apparently. I threw my hand over my mouth, got out of Montgomery's grasp, half ass mumbled "I'm gonna puke" and took off running to the bathroom. I barely made it there before emptying all of the contents left in my stomach from the day. I was too sick to even care about the fact that so many people just witnessed that and were hearing me throw up. My girls came running into the bathroom and shut and locked the door and then turned on the faucet to try to drown out the sounds. Just a few seconds later the music started, either Jeff or Monty, more than likely Jeff, realized that I desperately needed that music to be turned back on. I could tell by the sounds that I was hearing outside of the door that people were getting back to the party now and weren't concerning themselves with the sounds of me puking anymore. Jess held my hair back, Hannah was searching for a spare toothbrush and toothpaste,  and Sherri went to get me a glass of water. Where would I be without these girls? They were seriously my lifesavers. I finally started to feel better after a few minutes so I wiped my face and then flushed the toilet. Whenever Sherri got back with water I carefully took a few sips and then laid my head backs against the wall. Hannah was able to find some mouthwash which I was so grateful for. After giving me time to rinse out my mouth and get comfortable again, Sherri broke the silence. "What made you so sick all of a sudden?" She asked me while looking at me sympathetically. "Monty absolutely wreaked out alcohol and pot. I didn't smell it until he tried to whisper something to me. The smell made me feel so sick I didn't think I was gonna make it to the bathroom." "So, do you think he's only being so good with you because he's fucked up then?" Jess asked as she closed and sat on the toilet next to me. "It crossed my mind..." I mumbled. "Or maybe he realized that he's wrong and wants to give things a chance. They do say that drunk mouths speak sober thoughts, ya know?" Sherri said, once again trying to be always optimistic. None of us were even able to respond before we heard a knock on the door followed by a voice saying, "Mar, you okay, baby? Will you let me in?" It was Montgomery. "No, it's because of the horrible smell on your breath that I'm even in here." Hannah didn't pay any attention to what I said before opening the door, shoving Monty inside, and handing him the mouthwash. "Wow, okay." I said to her before rolling my eyes. "He can use the mouthwash and it'll be fine. He wants to be there for you so stop being like that and just let him." She said before grabbing Jessica and Sherri by the hands and leading them out of the bathroom, shutting the door behind all three of them. I continued to stare at the floor even after he finished rinsing out his mouth and kneeled down in front of me. He put his hand under my chin and lightly forced me to look at him. "What do you want me to do, Marci? Do you want me to leave you alone until you're ready to talk? Do you want me to smother you with love and protection? Do you want to go home? Tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it." He whispered to me. I sat up some and lightly pushed him back so he would understand that I wanted him to sit instead of kneel. He caught the drift and sat down, allowing me to hug him with my head on his chest. "I want you to act like we used to. Hang out with me, laugh with me, hug me, but also not cling to me like I'm gonna die if you're not there to beat anyone's ass who even just looks at me sideways. I know this is a really strange situation that neither one of us know how to handle. I can't say for sure that this is still the way I'll want us to go about things tomorrow but for now, just act like we used to, please." He ran his fingers through my hair which was such a soothing feeling. "Okay, I can do that." I leaned back and gave him a little smile. "I just need to know one thing first though...why did you cut me off?" I said as I studied his eyes that were looking into mine. "I'm really not prepared to talk about that right now, babe. Just know that you didn't do anything wrong and that I know I majorly fucked up. I'll talk to you about it eventually. I just don't wanna get all in my feelings tonight." That's when it dawned on me. I think Sherri was right. He cut me off because he was scared of the actual feelings that he felt towards me. He didn't fuck me that night, he didn't hit it and quit it. He made love to me and it was obvious to me now that he knew it too. He felt it too whenever we were connected in the closest of ways. He cut me off because it scared him. Montgomery was scared of his feelings for me. He didn't hate me at all, he loved me.  The thoughts had barely even finished processing in my mind before I grabbed his face and kissed him. It only took him one second of tensing up from surprise before he melted into the kiss too. After a few seconds I pulled away and looked at him smiling. He smiled at me slightly and chuckled under his breath nervously. He figured out that I had put the pieces together on my own without him having to explain anything. He pulled me in for a hug. Whenever we broke apart he grabbed stood up and grabbed my hand pulling me up with him. "What do you say we get the hell out of this bathroom and go enjoy the rest of the party?" He said with a smile on his face. "I say that's a pretty good idea. Wanna play a game of beer pong?" I replied smiling. "Obviously I'm not gonna drink, you can cover that part for me. I just wanna play." I explained after he gave me a confused look. "Yeah, okay. Let's do it." We walked out of the bathroom both with smiles on our faces. I could literally feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. Maybe things were going to work out. Maybe, just maybe, we could do this. Together.