I asked why, but he didn't explain, so I asked her, and she gave me a quick recount of their fight. I, being the very subtle friend I am, didn't beat around the bush as I told her off, blaming her for having voluntarily ruined everything ... that resulted in her not speaking to me for a week. When we finally did, I apologized for having pried into her private issues, but she shrugged it off. We haven't been mentioning it ever since.

These past three months have been very strange, I guess because I had gotten used to my new 'family', while now we all seem so concentrated on ourselves, voluntarily even. I mean, not for a real reason, like career, but for a simple need to retreat back into our safe cocoon, because we've all been hurt in one way or another. I feel as distant from my friends as I've never been and never wish to be again.

Byron is busy licking his wounds, shutting us all out as he dips into work, I barely even see him for how much overtime he does. Al is still in Italy, barely ever calls, and certainly he doesn't call me nor Will. Maya texts me saying the silliest things, yet whenever it seems that we might talk about something serious, like her marriage or, well, Byron, she throws me out of her safe cocoon.

Will ... he's hardly ever at home. He'll be graduating in a few days, so he's got the excuse of work at the Grant Enterprises plus thesis to ignore me. Me ... I spend my days with the little Grants. Their parents pay me enough for me not to need any other job, and even enough to save up something, little by little. Sure, I can't exactly say I'm rich now, but I don't have many troubles in making ends meet. I did tell Samantha that her husband was overdoing with my salary, but she said it was her idea, and he agreed when he came to know I was trying to save up for my studies.

I smiled as I watched the children play. I bring them to Central Park every day, Arianna loves it, sometimes her friend Noah tags along, his mom apologizes profusely every time, saying she shouldn't take advantage of a babysitter she doesn't even pay, but I reassure her as best as I can that I don't mind, he's a tranquil child, well, Arianna keeps him tranquil. The real issue are the twins. Sophia would be peaceful on her own, but her brother bugs her every time, so they keep fighting.

"Richard! Leave your sister alone!" I reprimanded, as if on cue. That kid's so undisciplined, you'd think they're spoiling him, but in truth he's just a new Bart Simpson. I would lie if I said I don't have favorites, though, in three months I've become fond of all three of them, but if I gotta be honest, I have a bit of a soft spot for Arianna.

She reminds me of myself, when I was so little and pure, without demons hogging me, without troubles ... or maybe I just don't recall them, I've probably removed everything that happened to me by then. 

Being a babysitter for three kids – sometimes four – isn't exactly easy, but I'm much more better off now than when I had to scuttle from a table to another to bring ice cream. These kids might be a handful most of the time, but I love being with them.

While her siblings were busy quarreling over who knows what – every single reason is good for the twins to fight –, Arianna wobbly came over to me, showing off her sweet girly smile, while her friend Noah stayed behind, not very thrilled about whatever she had in mind. She's only one year and a half, so while she can fairly walk without assistance, she doesn't speak too well, actually, she barely speaks at all, who knows why, probably she's shy for a type. Arianna left her friend's hand to come into my arms, and I gladly took her, kissing her temple.

"What is it, sweetie?" I asked. She babbled something about a carousel, and I instantly got her: there's this carousel I brought her to, not the ultrafamous one in 64th Street, but a shabby one barely anybody goes to these days; we were walking around the area when we saw it, and Arianna insisted, I wasn't too sure, because it didn't look really safe, but she insisted and insisted and insisted ... hard to say no when she pouts so cutely.