Stupid pride

CHAPTER 46 - STUPID PRIDE

REBECCA'S POV

I heard his voice as I waited, and immediately leaped to my feet. I knew he'd try to escape. Hence, I stormed straight out of the door and, predictably, I found him about to leave. "Hey, Willy. It's been a while, huh?" I greeted, trying to keep every emotion inside.

The emotions I've felt towards this precise man here are many, but as of now, there was only room for seethe. Which is perfect, because otherwise I'd have had troubles even only seeing him. I didn't even need my breathing techniques, seethe was just that much that I would have strangled him right there and then. Better make sure there were no witnesses first, though.

"Come on, turn around, you know who I am." I incited, while his assistant gaped between us like a lost puppy. She's nice, from what I've seen, but sometimes too timid.

I was as calm as I never thought I would be, but maybe it was just anger. In other circumstances, meeting him after 6 years would have scared the living daylights out of me, I would have been antsy, nervous, super-agitated, but ... you know, the simple fact that he made a living upon slut-shaming me and exposing me to the whole world as the worst bitch ever after Helen of Troy must have calmed me down.

I've read the book. Oh, yeah, I have. I came here fully aware of the facts. If mine weren't so common looks, people would have already pinpointed me. He did nothing to hide my identity. Nothing. It's so evidently clear that Lexi is me, that I could sue him for violation of privacy.

It's absurd Kieran hadn't noticed. Maybe because this is a different me, a different person from the co-worker and friend he's used to. I suppose it's a good thing, because if Kieran hadn't noticed the similarities, then nobody else around me has, which is relieving, because, only by paying attention to it I realized, pretty much my whole staff has this book on the desk, reading it in between breaks. You'd think this is the next 50 Shades or shit like that.

Will didn't even turn around as he barked: "Alma!"

She scuttled to him in the blink of an eye. I've talked to the girl a little, you know. He was taking so long ... she didn't say, but I've got a good eye, and there is a reason why is she so remissive and timid ... she's not exactly shy, just reverential. 

Very much cliché-like, Alma here has a big, big crush on her employer. The way she talked about him, the cure she put into reordering his files, taking his calls, making everything ready for him ... that wasn't pure dedication to the job, that was the work of a fangirl. The good kind of fangirl, thankfully.

For not knowing how famous has he got, how many fans he has, I must have lived in a cave until now ... doing a quick research on Google, I've found tons of articles about William Foster the rising star, and not just about his writing career, but also about his actual job. There were praises all over the place, and ... a freakishly high amount of fan sites. I didn't even know writers had this much popularity anymore.

The number of fangirls he has is scary. Truly. The age range goes from teens to women that could be his grandmothers, and he's loved by men as well. In a word, he's a star. Truly a star in the publishing world. I wonder how couldn't I notice that.

"Y-Yes, Mr. Foster?" his assistant squeaked to attention. Look into her pale blue eyes, and you'll see the devotion of a girl that would do anything for him. What's this thing about men surrounding themselves with devoted and faithful younger girls? 

Alma is only 20, she's still going to college, works here to pay off her loans, which is admirable, truly ... a little less understandable is the way she basically worships the ground her employer works on. I thought Will wouldn't need such a thing to boost his ego.