XIV - Elevator Music

It's been two weeks since I first started avoiding Keri. Everything has been going terribly for me. I can't focus on my grades. I can't focus on my friends. I can't focus on my family. I can't focus on soccer. I can't focus on everyday things because I always end up thinking about how I ruined my friendship with Keri. If I hadn't put her on that bed, we wouldn't be in this situation.

After the first week, Keri got the hint and started avoiding me too. I was so hurt, I didn't expect her to do that. I tried confronting Marina about it but Keri got beat up for that. Not seriously but Marina's friends pulled at her hair badly and slammed her into the wall a few times. Marina made me watch. I tried talking to Keri about it but she got beat up slightly worse than before. Marina somehow hacked into my phone and deleted Keri's contact from it. I didn't want to try anything else because I was worried that they would beat up Keri again.

Our class was on its way to a field trip. We were going to get some sort of 'work experience' in a business building which I think was stupid because not everyone wants to make a business when they grow up. Either way, I've learnt my lesson about speaking out when uncalled for because my actions hurt a lot of people. Maia you're thinking too much, focus on the scenery. I looked out through the window and there were lots of buildings. We must be close.

I was right, because soon after, the bus stopped. The teachers got all of us off and stood us outside in a line to register us. Then we had to wait for our tour guide who was slightly late. She was a tall, blonde bubbly woman and she was dressed very smartly. We all went inside the building that we were visiting and looked at the interior in awe. It was all so modern and fancy. I caught sight of Keri who was with Amelia, a dark skinned nerd with a short afro who I had noticed she had recently been hanging out with.

I frowned, because I wanted to be that girl. I looked away before I had a chance to see if Keri looked at me. I was so ashamed. In the first half of the day, we had the tour, but in the second half we got to wander about with our friends. Me and my friends went to the restrooms first. When I was by sink, I placed my phone above it and started washing my hands, Keri came out from one of the restrooms and also placed her phone above her sink, "Keri! I want-"

"Hey Maia!" That wretched little demon joined us by the sinks and grinned at me evilly, "I absolutely hate it when people break their promises," then she turned to Keri, "don't you?"

"Yes," Keri spoke through clenched teeth as she glared at me, "I do hate it," she turned off the tap and strutted out. Marina smiled triumphantly and flicked her hair in my face before following Keri in the same sassy manner. I stood there utterly humiliated before quickly walking out after them. I saw Keri walk into an elevator and I ran for my life to make it in. I slid through between the doors, only to find Keri in there. Alone.

"Yay, I made it!" I cheered meekly. Keri glared at me. I sighed, earning another glare from her. She reached into her pockets and a look of panic poured over her face. She quickly took off her bag and searched in there, "my phone! It's gone!" And that's when I remembered, "fuck! I left my phone in the restroom!"

"I don't care about your phone!" She gasped, "I left mine in there too!"

"See, you're not alone in all your problems."

"Oh shut up," she scoffed in disgust, "we need to go back!" Then she shoved me out of her way since I was in front of the buttons. She started pressing the 'down' button impatiently.

"You moron, that's not gonna work-" I was cut off by a huge bang resulting in a quick scream from Keri. We both fell to the floor from the impact and groaned in pain. Well I did, Keri looked around and started breathing really quickly. We soon realised that we were stuck. Keri tried not to cry and desperately held her hands in front of her mouth. I was really freaked out because neither of us had our phones and I had no idea how long we'd be here.