II - The New Cheer Captain

I pulled myself out of bed at the sound of my alarm clock. I turned on the water so that I could have a shower. Whilst the water got warmer, I grabbed my Spongebob towel and stripped in the bathroom.

After I was cleansed, I went to my room wrapped up in my towel. I picked out a white tank top and black skinny jeans. I put them on and my black Converses. I grabbed my red and black varsity jacket which was two sizes too big on me and had black writing in white outline at the back, and 'R' and a 'P' and underneath the 'R' it said 'High' in small letters and underneath the 'P' it said 'School' in small letters. At the front it had my initial, everyone's jacket had their initial.

I grabbed my bag and walked downstairs. I made myself Cheerios and then brushed my teeth. I was ready so I left my house. On the way, I stopped at Cindy's house. Once she opened the door she smiled at me, "You didn't call me yesterday."

"I forgot. I was tired. Why didn't you call me then to check if I was okay?"

"I forgot, I was tired." She giggled. She quickly went back inside to get her bag and then joined me. Cindy was wearing a black t-shirt with black leggings and her varsity jacket with her initial at the front and her braids were in a cute bun.

We walked at a sluggish pace because you just can't walk fast with Cindy at your side. We walked past Walmart and I begged my friend to buy me donuts, but she said I couldn't because I had to be the fittest in the team if I want to stay captain.

I huffed and allowed Cindy to drag me away from the huge store. As we walked into the school building, the halls were packed at our small figures almost drowned. We squeezed through everyone and I suddenly bumped into someone, knocking her off her feet.

It was Keri! Holy fuck! "I-I-I'm s-sorry!" Stop stuttering you shit! I held out my hand and she took it. I pulled her up. She was wearing a white tank top tucked into her black skater skirt, a purple flowery cardigan over it and cute Aztec sandals to top off her outfit. After I realised I was checking her out, I dropped to the floor and started picking up her books which were scattered all over the place, to hide my blushing face.

"I-I'm really sorry!" I gave her her books and she smiled warmly.

"It's okay, you jocks are always so rough." She giggled softly, I smiled at that. Her voice was angelic and I would love to talk to her forever if I could. "You're Maia aren't you? The soccer captain."

"I might not be for long." I shrugged, still smiling.

"I'm sure you will be, your team loves you."

"I hope you remain the cheer captain."

"Maia come on!" Cindy whined.

"I'm coming." I answered and then turned back to Keri, "I hope we can talk again. Bye." I smiled one more time and joined my friend. God, my heart was beating so fast! And I had finally spoken to Keri! After all that I spent imagining how our first meeting would look like, I finally spoke to her!

"Stop smiling so much. How was Keri?" She nudged my ribs.

"She's so sweet! What's all that talk about her being a bitch! She's no Regina George, that's for sure." I giggled to myself.

"You don't know that though."

"Shut up." I playfully pushed her into a random locker, then she shoved me back.

~~~

"Good Morning River Park High School." Mrs Wilson, the principal announced as soon as the school had settled down. "This is our first assembly of the school year. We have a few new students joining us would you like to stand up and introduce yourselves one by one." She turned to the six people sitting on chairs on her right. They all stood up and introduced themselves.

"Now, earlier the sports teams voted on their next new team captain. We have gathered all of the votes together and I shall now announce the new captains, starting with basketball." Mrs Wilson paused.

"Congratulations Michael Sugalski! You are still the basketball captain!" Everyone a huge round of applause as he stood up to join Mrs Wilson at the front.

"Moving on to netball." She paused again, "Congratulations Kristina Maddox! You are the new netball captain!" The school roared again as Kristina stood up and walked to the front.

"Now soccer." She paused and the suspense was freaking killing me. "Congratulations Maia Oh! You are still the soccer captain!" My heart beats blocked out all the noise that our school was making. I shakily stood up and join Kristina and Michael. Whilst I'm there, I scan the audience to find Keri. I can't find her though.

"Next, volleyball." Mrs Wilson paused. "Congratulations Danielle Kennedy! You are still the volleyball captain!" The school applauded again as the girl joined us at the front.

"And now, last but not least, cheerleading." She paused again, just speak woman. "Congratulations Marina Câmara! You are the new cheer captain!" My heart sunk when it wasn't Keri who was the captain, but Marina.

After all five of us stood at the front, we all slightly bowed and Mrs Wilson congratulated us again and told everyone that tryouts for the five different teams were today after school, all on the outside fields/courts. After that, we returned to our seats. I was devastated for Keri. Hopefully she still makes it on the team.

~~~

Layla, the vice-captain, and I were waiting on the field for people to arrive for the tryouts. "What time is it?" She asked me, impatiently tying up her long ginger hair in a low ponytail.

I checked my watch, "It's not time yet, people should be here in about four minutes." I sighed. Layla looked at me. "Oh." She mused.

After about four minutes, a whole army of girls started coming our way. "Layla come on! Places!" I hissed pulling her off the grass and standing up. I took the clipboard with the names of all the girls up for the team. Of course there was so many girls we couldn't keep them all.

~~~

The tryouts were over and Layla and myself had to discuss who we were going to keep. After a long discussion, we had our new team.

We copied out all the names of the girls on the new team onto a nice piece of paper which we were going to pin on the notice board on Monday.

"That was such a tough decision. The girls were all really great, I feel bad for the other girls." Layla said as she gathered her stuffs.

"I know right! But three of them are going to be subs anyway." I said. "Who did you like the most?" I asked

"Hmm, I think I liked the girl with blue highlights, Keandra I think it was. She's not the fastest but her technique is exceptionally good."

"Ooh yeah, I agree! But personally I liked Sasha the best. She's small and agile and her leg strength is amazing. When I saw her, I knew I had to make space for her on the team. We need her."

"Sasha, the one with the black pixie cut? Yeah, she stood out a lot!" Layla smiled, "Anyway, don't forget to bring in this on Monday." She hugged me and handed me the list of new teammates.

"I won't. Bye!" We hugged again and left the school.