Kady was wiping away her tears, but she immediately composed herself. "I will gather my things and leave your residence in thirty minutes."

"Kady, don't be like that."

"My name is Kadence. Please refrain from calling me Kady. You've lost that privilege." she said, and retreated to my room.

Twenty minutes later, Jade showed up to my house. I let her in as Kady shoved the bracelet I gave her in my face and completely shoved past us without saying goodbye.

"Jeez, what's her problem?" asked Jade, sitting down on the couch.

"It's complicated," I say, staring at the bracelet. I then follow Jade to the couch and wait for her to tell me about Chris.

"So, Chris called and said they asked her about Vicky. They asked her if she had anything to do with killing her. She said she didn't, but I can't help but go back and forth in my mind about it."
I raise a brow. "You think she could've done it? Why?"
"'Cause Vicky's my most recent ex. Chris hated her 'cause of how close we were immediately after the breakup. It was a bad one, but it took us a good while to truly stop being around each other. Chris didn't like it one bit, even if we were just trying to be platonic friends. She never could keep us apart, though. She was just so easy to get along with, compared to Chris." she sighs.
"Damn, that's crazy." I say.
"Yeah, Vicky showed me these texts she got from Chris, which I wound up showing to the police. But, I only did it because I didn't want to get stuck with no bullshit charge, just in case those folks do charge her with something."
"I understand."
"I just wish I could somehow find out for myself, whether she did it or not."
I think for a second. One thing I wanted to do was find a way to keep Chris off my back. If we could actually prove that Chris is the one who did it, the state could actually build a case against her.
"If I were you, I'd watch her every move. Document everything. It doesn't matter how big or small it is, take all the proof you can to the police."
I'd see what I could find, too, and would anonymously drop it off to authorities. Honestly, not only did I feel like doing it to get Chris off of me, I felt like I might be doing it for Vicky, too.
"I might. I just... got a lot to think about right now."
Me, too.
I was just thinking about how I gave Vicky my real phone number. I did it after I decided I wasn't gonna kill her... but the fact that she's dead means they'll be looking into her phone. They would see my number pop up just a few times. But... I didn't need my number to pop up in any dead person's phone. It wasn't a good look.
Then she told me about how Chris is being charged with the drug charges, and that she was still considering bailing her out, as she wasn't one hundred percent sure of her involvement in Vicky's death. I didn't understand the point in doing that, if she's going right back in the joint over a murder charge. I was gon' make it happen one way or the other. After she vents some more, she leaves.

As soon as she pulled off, I paced back and forth in my living room. I desperately wanted to call Priest and give her an update on the whole Chris thing. But honestly, I thought it would be weird. The last time we'd seen each other, we kissed and almost crossed that friend line. I ain't ever experienced something like that before. At least not from somebody I've considered a friend. I wasn't the type to mess around with my friends— shit like that was always weird to me. I've always thought Priest was a pretty girl or whatever, but I'd never seen her in a sexual way, before. Even when I'd seen her in her underclothes, I was taken aback by how nice her shape was, but even then, I never thought of anything explicit when it came to her. Maybe I should go ahead and forget about it. The kiss was nice, but maybe it was a good thing that my sisters were there to interrupt our would-be tryst. There's no way it would happen again. She's my friend, and I think that's how I wanna keep it. I wasn't so sure she was my type, anyway. For one, she was way too worried about church and pleasing her father. In addition to that, she dresses masculine, too. Now... my attraction was mostly to feminine women for as long as I could remember. I mean... I hadn't been in a 'relationship' with a stud since I first came out. I moved onto fems and never looked back.

Maybe Priest didn't need to be involved with anyone. She needs to heal from what her dad did to her. I don't think it's right to even mess around with her while she is so vulnerable. Vulnerability seems to bring out the lust in everybody. I don't want to be a distraction. She should face her issues head on, and by herself. I can support her through this until she heals, on the sidelines. Then we'll see if we can make something work. Yeah, that's how we'll handle this.

Suddenly, my phone rang, and it was Priest on the other line.

I took a deep breath and answered it.
"Yeah?"
"I'm outside."