16: Salon-Talk

"And then he asked me if I was her sister!" Mother laughs obnoxiously high-pitched, retelling an exaggerated version of an old, worn-out story where someone believed I was her sister.

The other ladies within the salon fall into laughter as well despite the fact that they've heard this tale many more times than I. They only laugh to keep Mother's favor. She holds a lot of pull on a lot of councils and with a lot of people. She also holds a grudge, so it's best not to get on her bad side if you're going to eventually need a favor.

"What's the theme of this year's Winter Gala, Nancy?" Soledad's mother, Lucia Castillo, asks, fake excitement painted upon her plastic face.

"Well, as you ladies know, my family and I host this gala every year as a gift to society," Mother subtly compliments our family's wealth and I roll my eyes. "This year's theme surrounds a ski chalet. No white or snow. Something a little more rustic and less cliche."

"So, like a ski lodge?" One of the less-wealthy women speaks up and my mother glares daggers at her.

"What is this, a backroad mountain trip?" Mother snorts. "It's going to be more elegant than simply a ski lodge."

The woman instantly looks down and goes silent. Leave it up to Mother to put someone in their place.

"Well, I think it's a lovely idea, Nancy," Daniel's mother chimes in after a moment of silence.

"Thank you! It's going to be so lovely! I would absolutely adore your opinion on the orchestra. You patron so many concerts and recitals, you know far more than I do!" Mother smiles.

And here you have it: my mother in her natural habitat. Buttering up women she despises in order to gain favor or advantage.

"Well I would have never pulled off that spring recital without your opinion on flowers! You simply are a genius when it comes to floral arrangements," She responds.

Mother clasps a hand to her chest with a look of gratitude upon her face. "They simply speak to me, is all," She gushes, the rollers in her hair completely taut as she speaks.

I roll my eyes again and flip the page to my book while the stylist sprays water onto my hair.

"So, Blythe," Soledad's Mother catches my attention, "who are you taking to the gala?"

Before I can answer, Mother responds, "Daniel, of course!"

"Soledad is bringing Avery. They're quite taken with one another," Mrs. Castillo lies. Soledad despises Avery and he feels the same about her.

"Yes, it's so wonderful to see them together!" Mrs. Dunlap chimes in from the other side of the room.

"I've seen them also. The chemistry is just amazing!" Mother chimes, trying to reassert herself into the conversation.

"The chemistry between Daniel and Blythe is just palpable!" Mrs. Castillo says, almost as if she's trying to refute our actual chemistry. Which is little-to-none, if we're being honest.

Mother picks up on her sly insult and shrugs, "Well, when you have a daughter as beautiful as mine, it's hard for anyone to resist her."

My eyebrows shoot up and I quickly look back to my book as the stylist begins to trim the ends of my hair.

"Jensen says she's the topic of many party conversations," A different, rich woman adds and I blush.

"We always knew it would be hard to keep the boys away from her," Mother chimes and a few women nod knowingly.

God, please save me.

"What color are you wearing for the winter gala, Blythe?" Mrs. Castillo asks and I exhale, thankful for a reprieve in conversations about my exterior.