Three's A Charm

The landscape swooshed by outside the car window. Hiccup stared out over the empty countryside, humming a long with Carry On Wayward Son on the radio. They cruised down Highway 2 with still plenty of miles ahead of them before their next overnight stop at a motel. Their 'epic road trip of awesome', as Jack referred to this endeavour, had only just begun, but already Hiccup knew he'd made the right choice when he came along with the Overland twins. Sure, they could be quite the characters, but that was part of their charm.

"Hey Hiccup?" Jack was sitting behind the passenger seat. He reached forward to sort-of hug his sort-of boyfriend. Sort-of, because hugging someone from the backseat was difficult, and neither was exactly sure about their relationship status. They just kinda were, and Jack nor Hiccup dared ask what exactly.

"Yeah?"

"I ehm... I... do you ehm..."

That was unusual. "You sound tense, Jack. Something wrong?"

"Oh come on just tell him already, you wuss," Jackson said. "If you don't I will!"

"I know I've never said it but... well..."

Hiccup was getting thoroughly confused now.

The white-haired teen took a deep breath and his eyes looked everywhere but Hiccup, even when the brunet tried to turn around a bit in his seat. He looked like he was struggling to find the right words, something that didn't happen to Jack often. Finally, he blurted out: "Do you wanna fool around in the backseat?"

Jackson laughed so hard Hiccup was afraid they might drive off the road and crash.

"What that idiot meant to say was a simple 'I love you', but that'll work too I guess."

"Oh shut up you jerk," Jack called at his brother.

He kept laughing, wiping a tear from his eye. "Nothings says 'I love you' like a roadtrip blowjob I suppose."

The poor green-eyed passenger still didn't quite catch up. Jack loved him so they weren't sort-of boyfriends? Or was this some joke? Did he really want to get in on while driving? Had everyone gone batshit?

Jackson saw the look on his face and took pity on him.

"Look, Jack is too much of a pussy to come out of the friends-with-benefits-limbo you guys are in, even though it's pretty obvious that he can. I had to help him a little.

"This is your way of helping?" Hiccup asked.

"He would have done the same for me. Now get into that back seat."

"Whoa whoa whoa hang on a second." Hiccup held up his hands. "Is this some team-tagged prank or am I going insane or what?"

"It's not a prank, Hiccup," Jack said behind him. He withdrew his hand and the brunet turned around. The white-haired teen looked honestly distressed and a bit hurt.

"I... I'm sorry, Jack. I'm so glad I can finally call you my boyfriend in earnest instead of 'it's complicated'. That's so much better!" He smiled warmly at his now no longer sort-of-boyfriend but actual full-on lover.

"Oh you guys I'm gonna need a bucket. This is too sweet for me," Jackson interrupted. Hiccup ignored him.

"But really," the green-eyed teen went on. "Fool around on the backseat?" He arched an eyebrow, but Jack didn't even look a little bit ashamed.

"What, I panicked okay?"

"We're in a car with your brother, for crying out loud. It would be downright unethical to make out and force him to listen to that while driving. Not to mention awkward as hell for me."