Escape

Claire waited until she was sure that Andrew had fallen asleep. She reached under the sofa and into the hidden compartment she found in the bottom of the sofa. Afterwords she crept into the bathroom and opened the window. She then stepped on the tub and pushed herself out of the window.

She hit the ground with a small thud. It hurt her ankles for a second but she couldn't wait for them to recover. She rushed forward towards the sound of Sundance's feet. Once she found him, he neighed quietly.

"Shush boy. It's all right. I'm here now. I'll get you to safety." She felt for his halter and looped each ends of her reins to the holes of where the lead rope is supposed to be clipped at.

Suddenly a light turned on and she could hear Andrews voice booming to the outside from the inside of the house.

"Shit!" She pushed herself onto Sundances back. She would have to jump the fence that kept Sundance here. Bareback. She had never even ridden bareback often enough to stay on at trot let alone a jump. None the less she kicked his sides and proceeded forward. She leaned forward and held the make shift reins and squeezed his thighs to keep her balance. She landed perfectly! She didn't have time to celebrate though because Andrew was coming at her at full speed. She kicked Sundance harder. She wasn't about to stay here, to be so close to freedom and have it ruined because she didn't push herself. Tall had taught her how to be balanced when riding bareback. Sundance galloped just passed Andrew. She had made it! She had passed him. But the race wasn't over. She looked back seeing Andrew bridle another horse.

"Take me to Tall, Sundance." And suddenly his direction changed and his speed was faster. She thought he was going as fast as he could but he proved her wrong. If it were under different circumstances she would enjoy the night air with her on horseback but she was running for her life.

Even still she could admire the feeling of peace she had as she galloped at full speed towards the man she hoped to spend the rest of her life with. Sundance turned once again. She could swear she knew where she was located now. Like she had been here before.

She realized it was the place Andrew took her to all the time while they were together but he took so many turns to get here she could never remember the way. She wished now she had paid more attention, but she couldn't dwell on it now. She trusted Sundance to get her home. His home. Not hers. Despite being welcomed into the community she still has her doubts. Was this the life style she could truly appreciate?

The sounds of foot steps coming close behind her brought her back to the present. Andrew was just behind her!

Andrew quickly gained speed. The horse must be a lot younger then her Sundance. Andrew leaned over to try and grab Claire, but she leaned over to the right. She almost lost her balance as he reached over at her again, forcing his horse to run into hers. Sundance cleverly moved to the side so the horse would just miss them. There was a small barb wire fence up ahead. She knew Sundance could make it and even be willing to jump it. Claire only hoped the horse would refuse to jump it. Just then they soared gracefully over the small fence. As Sundance kept going Claire looked to see where Andrew and the horse were. The horse was still on the other side but Andrew was on the other side of the fence rolling around in pain from the fall. Claire pulled on her reigns to stop Sundance. She turned him to face in the direction Andrew lay. She gently kicked him towards Andrew. He stopped him a safe distance away and watched him suffer.

"This isn't even a third of what you deserve Andrew."

" I'm not done with you yet, bitch."

" Oh, but you are, bitch." She spat. She nudge Sundance towards Andrew. One of his hands were broken from the face and it was her goal to break the other. Sundance hesitated at Andrews arm,but with a gentle nudge from Claire again and he step forward with ease. Claire smiled at the pain in Andrews screams. After a few minutes of Sundance on Andrews arm Claire backed him up and slid off his back. She reached over the barb wired fence carefully and slipped the bridle off the horse. She took the reigns from the bridle off and tied them around Andrew broke hands and tied them. Slowly she got back on her horse.

"It's either walk or be dragged. Your pick."

He looked at her and spat. Claire smiled,nodded, and kicked Sundance to walk.

"Ok! Ok! I'll walk." She stopped her horse long enough for Andrew to get up then kicked Sundance into a trot. This way Andrew wouldn't have time to try and kill her. He'd be to busy trying to keep up so he wouldn't get dragged in the dirt.

Claire smiled.

She could see the city lights over the horizon.