Chapter 12 Don't Be a Beach

"It truly is beautiful," Donny says after we had arrived at the beach.
The wind was holding and cold, but I enjoyed the view and all the memories.
"Me and my mom used to come here when I was little," I tell him, "We would just walk and walk, as if it was just the two of us in the world."
Thor nodded beside me as I began concentrating on the footprints below, left by others.
He didn't say anything for a couple of minutes, he just silently walks beside me.
"Something wrong?" I ask.
"You're mother, what happened to her?"
I sigh and begin, "Well, not to long ago, she was diagnosed with cancer that seemed to be riding through her blood. And soon it got to her heart. One day I wake up, and she was gasping for-for air," I continue even after my voice begins to break and tears begin to well, "Then sh-she was gone. And the pain that she had f-felt, was no more."
"I'm sorry," Donny says after I finish.
I can tell he's embarrassed about making me cry, and honestly, I'm embarrassed about crying.
"It's fine," I say through tears that are now silently flowing, "She's in a better place now."
Thor nods but seems unconvinced of my "okayness".
"Are you cold?" he finally asks after my tears begin to dry.
"What?"
"Are you? I mean, the wind is very cold and you don't have a jacket."
"Um, well-"
"Here," he says and takes off his leather jacket that he was wearing. He wraps it around my shoulders, along with his big, strong, and somehow perfectly tanned arm.
I can see that he was nervous about doing that, so I place my head on his giant shoulder to calm him down.
We walk in silence some more, but it's a comfortable silence.
"Dr. Blake," someone interrupts us, causing my head to shoot up, and his arm to fall off my shoulders.
"Mr. Fury," Thor nods to a person standing nearby, who I don't think either of us noticed.
The man wears a black trench coat, and an eyepatch over one of his eyes, making his stare intensify.
"I need to talk to you," he states with a overly high amount of authority.
"Now?" Donny asks, obviously bummed.
"Yes, now."
"Why?" I ask, curious about this odd yet powerful man.
"That is none of your concern, Ms. Scott."
"Wait, how do you know my name?"
The man ignores my question and turns to Thor, "We need you in the Helicarrier."
"If that crappy ship is missing pieces of metal and I have to hammer them on again-" Donny begins but is cut off by the man.
"No, that is not the reason. And that crappy ship is where all the real work happens."
"That's what I was afraid of," Donny mumbles.
"I'm apologize for interrupting your date," Fury says, "But this is urgent."
"Oh," I say nervously, "This-this isn't a date."
He nods as if saying "sure it isn't".
I turn to Donny for help, but I see his face has fallen, like he's disappointed.
"I'll go," he finally mumbles.
"Wait!" I say, "If this has anything to do with Dr. Doom, then I'm going."
"Ms.-" the man begins to protest but I cut him off.
"I'm the reason he escaped, and I'm the one who's supposed to help find him. So I'm going."
I see Thor's face light up with pride and laughter that make him shine and look like a child on Christmas.
"That won't be-"
"Oh, don't be a beach," I snap, "I'm going on your little helicopter-"
"Helicarrier."
"Whatever. Whether you like it or not. Is that clear, Director Fury?" I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm on the last part.
Fury finally nods his head and says, "Follow me."