Chapter 2 Rookie

"So what are you working on?" I ask Erik as we walk back into the lab.
They had just finished their game with a shocking loss in the tenth inning.
"Well, right now we're working on accessing the Einstein Rosen bridge," he tells me.
"Yeah, she's not all caught up on that," Darcy tells him. She's still moping around after that game.
"Uh, actually I read up on it last night," I say.
"So you know what we're doing?" Erik asks.
"Well, yeah. You're trying to find a way to connect to a wormhole and use it as you please. Like kinda how Thor uses it."
They all stare at me like I said something weird.
"What?" I ask.
"How do you know about Thor?" Ian, who was the third person that was watching the game and is Darcy's intern/boyfriend, asks.
"Uh, I saw him on the news with the Avengers."
"This cable isn't working," Donny says as he enters the room.
"You sure you used it right?" Ian asks.
Donny sends him a glare and then says, "Yes, I know what I'm doing."
"Well, then," Erik says and turns to Darcy, "Could you return this to Radio Shack?"
"Sure."
"Oh, and take the rookie with you."
It takes a moment for me to realize that I'm the rookie that he's referring to.
"C'mon! I'll be in the truck!" Darcy calls out to me as she leaves.
I take the cable that Erik holds and run outside to follow her.
She sits in a big, red, pick up truck blaring some Katy Perry.
"And you're gonna hear me ROAR!" she sings along with the radio, at the top of her lungs as I climb into the passenger seat.
"Got the cable?" she yells over the music.
I nod and show it to her.
"Buckle up!" she yells a little to late as the truck goes into reverse and hits the curb.
"Oh, wrong way!"
Darcy then switches gears and drives out of the small parking lot and into the busy streets of New York City.
We drive a few streets down, towards the nearest Radio Shack.
After we return the cable she asks me, "Ever had frozen yogurt?"
I shake my head as she pulls into a frozen yogurt shop.
"Well, here's your chance!"
"Aren't we supposed to get back to the lab?" I ask.
"Nah. They sent me out on an errand. That's like asking me to skip work."
We go inside and she orders both of us a fat-free yogurt.
"Gotta love fat-free," she says as she hands me one.
"How's it taste?" I ask.
"Like heaven."

Author's note:
The company that Melody and them work at was created by Jane when she discovered the Foster Theory (the theory of there being other worlds and beings using an Einstein Rosen bridge) before she died. The company is now in New York City. Thank you for reading this! Please vote and comment! Thank you!