Chapter One

Chapter One

The slow rumble of thunder and the quick hiss of lightning. Small wet droplets pounded relentlessly against my window, if anything this storm fit my mood fit perfectly. The way the wind ripped at the trees showed my anger and frustration, while the rain is the tears I shouldn't shed. .

Standing silently, I gazed out the blurry rain covered window. My fingertips rested against the cold, wet glass and I could feel my black tulle dress crumple around me. I hate this dress, it irritates my skin and black it not my colour. It makes me seemed washed out with my milky white skin. A black car turned onto my street. It's headlights were blinding compared to the dark afternoon. It was my aunt, who was picking up my grandmother and I for the funeral. I had to finish getting ready.

Heading over to my creamy white, mirrored vanity, the girl who stared back at me... Didn't look like me.Her skin was paler, her hair dull and her blue eyes.... Held no happiness.

I picked out my favourite light pink lipstick. I spread it over my lips trying to make me seem.... More alive. The slightly coloured gloss brought some colour to my face. Opening my mothers old glass jewelry box, I gently placed a a silver ring onto my ring finger. The ring was slim and carried a tiny sky blue stone. The ring was left in my mothers will, the... The note she left with it said it was her engagement ring from my father. That I should hold it close to my heart and never .. Ever lose it.

A small knock came from my bedroom door, and from the mirrors reflection I watched as my grandmother walked in. She wore a straight black dress, and her grey, stringy hair was pulled back into one of her usual tight buns.

"It's time dear.... Your aunt is waiting downstairs" her voice was worn and held a slight shake. Her sad brown eyes stared at me through the mirror, she wasn't taking this day any better than I was... I stood heaving a large sigh, I pushed back the vanity stool. Smoothing the tulle of my dress, I walked over to her and took her hand.

Before stepping out of my bedroom door, I tried to muster up all the courage I had left. I would not break down today, especially in front of them.... My supposed 'family'. They're going to show up today and pretend they're sad, pretend they know her and feel sorry for her. I hate them... Every single one of their stupid faces... I hate them. My grandmother is all I have left...

"You coming dear?"

Opening my eyes once again, I gave my grandmother a small smile, the first smile I've worn since my mothers incident.

"Yes..." I made my way down the stairs and outside where my Aunt was waiting impatiently, tapping her foot on the paved driveway and looking down at her watch.

------------------------------------------------------((<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>))------------------------------------------------------

Th car ride to the cemetery would have been ridden in silence... If it weren't for my Aunts non-stop chatter.

"Damn this weather... but i guess it's appropriate for the whole funeral scene. And Angie loved the rain, so it only fits at her funeral"

The car came to a stop at a fourway intersection, my Aunt took this chance to look over and add too her already make-up plastered face. She peered into the rear-view mirror, taking out her bright red lipstick she started to smother it onto her plump lips.

Rolling my eyes, I continued to stare emotionlessly out the back seat window. The rain continued to fall... and the wind continued to howl and the thunder and lightning moved over the sky. My Aunt was right.... mom loved this kind of weather.

"You see that, Elise?" My mother turned to me excitedly.

"Mama its scary! The rain is scary!" My five year old hands covered my eyes as my mother and I sat on the front portch of our little white house. Thunder roared overhead, causing me to let out a terrified scream and dive for my mothers safe embrace.

She let out a laugh, it reminded me of a fairy jingle, so light and happy. "Theres no reason to be scared Elise, its only the angels talking"

"Angels?" I repeated with a sniffle.

"Thats right Elise, it's only the Angels"

" Elise! My god girl, are you sleeping?" My Aunts shrill voice rang throughout the car.

Her sudden burst pulled me roughly from the little memory.

"Goodness girl, your just like your mother I tell you! Never listens!"

"I'm sorry Aunt Madeline...."

"You know what child? You better start listening to me! Your mother didn't listen to me and look how she ended up!" She yelled. My grandmother who sat up front with my Aunt gasped.

"Mad..." My grandmother started but she was quickly cut off by my Aunts sharp tongue.

"Oh, you know what mother? I warned her! I told her that he was no good! And yet she married him and even when he ditched her sorry ass she still loved him!" Slamming her hands onto the steering wheel, she breathed out her nose in frustration. Tears threatened to fall from my eyes, her words stung even if they weren't directed at me. Her sister... My mother was dead... The funeral is today for god sakes!

"Stop" my voice was barely above a whisper.

"Madeline thats enough!" My grandmother shouted.

"If your mother wasn't so careless, this wouldn't have happened. After your darn father left her with nothing she was nuts! Always muttering about demons... She should have been put in a mental ward! Her head was in the clouds! Maybe that's why she got herself stabbed!"

"STOP IT!" I yelled.

The pain and anger coursed through my body, tears that I worked so hard to conceal streamed down my face. We were pulling into the funeral home, my families cars filled the parking lot. Once we stopped moving, I was the first one out of the car.

Slamming the door, I didn't wait for my grandmother or my stupid Aunt. I ran to the building wiping my face furiously. And as if the tears weren't enough the rain blurred my vision and the cold wind stung my skin.

The tiny parking lot stones crunched under my black flats as I blindly ran.

Then out of nowhere, I was a deer in headlights as a black car came to a screeching halt. I heard my grandmother yell out behind me, though faint it sounded like she screamed my name.

I stumbled back from the car, afraid I was going to get hit. In the process I managed to fall over on the wet pavement, soaking the back of my dress entirely.

Squinting threw the damp strings of hair that fell over my face, I could faintly see the shape of two extremely tall men getting out of the car and making their way over.....

-----------------------------------

Hey guys thanks for reading! Just wanted to say - if you have any suggestions for the story please comment! If you could vote that would be even more awesome!!! As a side note we will be updating this story every Sunday (American time) or earlier. Stay tuned for more!!!!

Signed,

Lolli and Pop