Chapter 4

(Not edited! Please don't leave editing comments.)

Chapter 4

Sander had a very analytical mind. He could see numbers in a way that I couldn't. He solved through the problems very quickly and once in a while he would stop and explain certain parts to me that I didn't understand. To say that I was impressed would be a complete understatement. Nate and all the other scholarship students had made it sound like most of the students who went to the school were rich and incompetent, but obviously Sander and Dayton didn't fit into that category. Working with Sander made a slight dent in my ego. He was not only wealthy but also smart. How could I compete with someone like him when it came to applying for college?

"Well Otter girl, it looks like we're done!" Sander announced once we got done with the last problem.

I looked up at him and smiled, he looked so proud of himself. "Is that what you're going to call me?" I questioned him watching him run his fingers through his blond hair once again.

Sander shrugged his shoulder. "I like to be unique. If we were in a crowded room and I called you by your given name you wouldn't know who was calling, but if I called you Otter girl, you would know it was me right away." He explained with a certain sparkle in his amber eyes.

"And you anticipate us being in a crowded room a lot?" I asked, feeling a smile play on my lips.

Sander raised a light eyebrow. "Well I would prefer to be alone in a room with you, but in case a situation ever arises where we need to be in a crowded room, I would want you to know exactly who was calling you." Sander's smirk was filled with amusement that was quickly becoming very familiar to me.

I knew my blush was evident on my cheeks, because I felt my body heat up. I usually stayed away from guys like Sander in my old school. Correction: there weren't any guys like Sander at my old school, and even if they were they would never have said anything like that to me. I stared at Sander at a loss for words.

Sander threw his head back and laughed loudly, drawing the attention of our classmates and teacher. Looking up at Mr. Peterson, Sander quickly tried to cover in laugh into a cough but I knew he didn't fool anyone. Mr. Peterson looked at the both of us through his glasses and then quietly looked back down at his paper.

I turned to Sander with an appalled look and saw a smirk on his lips. His large hand reached over and touched me on my arm. "Otter girl, if you are going to survive in this school, you better get used to hearing comments like that," Sander advised.

I shook my head and tried to will myself not blush even more. "I don't- it's just that I'm not used- well-." I stammered stupidly.

Sander gave my arm a quick squeeze before moving it away and crossing his arms across his chest.

"It's just that you aren't used to it?" Sander asked and when I nodded he smiled and continued. "I'm surprised. Were the guys in your other school blind?" He questioned plainly as though that was the only thing that made sense.

I shook my head at him again. "Of course they weren't." I whispered softly. Some groups were still working so the noise level was up in the classroom, but that didn't mean I felt comfortable chatting away loudly.

"Well were they all gay then?" Sander questioned leaning onto the desk. "Because I don't understand why else they wouldn't have made a move on you."

I scowled at him and shook my head yet again. "No," I said in a whisper again. "I'm just plain old Aria, there isn't anything too special about me." It was the truth.

Sander's amber eyes narrowed. "I don't know, I think it's pretty special to have gotten a scholarship to one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the nation."