Chapter Eight- END :)

I grabbed a fresh tissue and wiped my eyes. I’d been up in my room since I got home hours ago, wishing I were in Hollyweird and missing it. Missing David.

And there had been sobbing involved. Lots of it.

Curling up against my pillow, I eyed my cell I’d thrown on the bed earlier. I wanted to call David just to hear his voice, but I’d never even gotten his phone number. Kelly would have it. I couldn’t ask her for the number of the guy who’d dated and dumped her though.

“Sweetheart?” my mom called through my bedroom door.

I sniffed and dabbed my eyes, so she wouldn’t know I’d been crying. “Come in.”

The door opened and she poked her head in. “You’ve been home for a while. Don’t you need to eat?”

“I’m not hungry.” I gave her a weak smile. “But, thanks.”

She sat on the edge of the bed. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“No.” I wrinkled my nose. “Not really.”

My mom folded her hands and stared into her lap. “Kelly came home and cried the entire first day.”

“Yeah, she needed a break.”

“And now you’re doing the same thing. She told me what happened with her, but that doesn’t explain what’s going on with you.”

“I want things I can’t have.” Being more specific than that could lead to Kelly finding out I’d seriously fallen for her ex. She’d feel guilty and I didn’t want that for her.

“Did you… do you want to move there?” my mom asked.

Did I? I missed Sarah. And pretending to be Kelly made me realize how much I’ve missed having my sister close by. But did I want to live in Tinseltown? Living there, but not being with David would be too painful. “No.”

“Okay.” She remained silent for what seemed like minutes, then rose and kissed me on the forehead. “When you feel like talking about it, let me know. Lasagna’s in the oven, but I need to make a quick run to the store before dinner. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Thanks, Mom.” That’s what I loved about her — she never pushed and would wait patiently until we came to her in our own time.

After giving my hand a pat, she slipped from my room and closed the door. Moments later, I heard my mom’s car drive out of the garage.

I’d known David only a few days. What I felt couldn’t be love. And it was a good thing too, because he’d never love me back. I was the girl who’d lied to him and pretended to be someone else. That kind of betrayal was a crappy start for any relationship. Even if he did forgive me, that didn’t automatically mean he’d want to date me.

If the guy I’d lied to and left behind were Luke Holtz, I wouldn’t have to wonder what he’d wanted. Luke wouldn’t go for plain Candy when he could have a star like Kelly. David was different though. He hadn’t been into Kelly the first round.

Which brought be back full circle. Had we stood a chance if he’d known who I really was? The thought killed me.

I squeezed my eyes shut, determined not to start bawling again.

A car engine idled in front of our house, then suddenly stopped. Not driven away, but shut off. It didn’t sound like my dad’s car though, or my mom’s. Yet, it sounded familiar. Like my Beetle, which I’d left at Kelly’s.

Since our only neighbors lived far enough away that I needed binoculars to see them, whoever just parked at our curb had come for me or my parents.