Chapter Seven

And here we came full circle, back to the change in Kelly. “Well…” I stared at the white linen napkin on the table that was folded into a tiny mountain.

“Sometimes, things happen that make you see things with new eyes,” David said. “First, all that crap with Pete, then the Henley White fiasco. That’s a lot to deal with.”

I didn’t want to talk about any of that, because I was bound to say something to demonstrate my lack of knowledge. My gaze remained focused on the table.

“Sorry. I shouldn’t have brought it up,” he said.

The lights dimmed and the music faded, saving me from a reply.

“I’d like to welcome you all this evening to Hank’s Blues Club.”

I peered past the guy at our neighboring table to the man on stage, tall and lanky with light, messy hair.

“Tonight, we have with us the beautiful and talented Tina Laws. Let’s give her a warm welcome.” Clapping erupted and, and after a moment, he continued. “And for one song, we have a very special guest, Josh Adams.”

The crowd hooted and hollered. I clapped and grinned at David, just as a light flashed at our side.

Paparazzi. I groaned.

“A lot of celebrities here tonight. Now I’m thinking my inside information was a little too convenient. Free publicity for Josh.” David cocked his head. “Why the long face? You’re normally a huge supporter of that.”

“Right.” I grimaced.

He studied me a moment. “Two weeks ago, Kelly Bloom would’ve never complained about photographers.”

I shrugged. “Temporary insanity. Next week, I should be back to my old self.”

“I hope not.” David nudged me with his shoulder.

The server brought our pizzas and we lapsed into silence and ate. Tina Laws and her band did a soulful tune, then kicked it up with some guitar and the bass hummed at my feet. They followed that up with a bluesy tune and I shared a grin with David.

My phone vibrated and I rummaged through my purse to check the caller ID. Sarah texted, E/thing ok? I answered her with, Eating w/ David. Home soon. How’s ur bro? She answered right away. Again?! Does Kelly know? Bro doing gr8. C u tmrrw.

“I’m curious.” He laid his fork on the table. “Luke was all over you yesterday at the grand opening. I expected you to cancel on me and go out with him.”

“Oh.” When I realized he was waiting for a more substantial reply, I dabbed my mouth with a napkin to stall. “He’s not exactly gross.”

He chuckled. “And?”

“Guess I’ve been watching my parents too long. Married almost twenty years and they still like each other. The Luke type would be fun for a little while, but when all that newness wears off, would I still like him?” I shook my head. “Probably not.”