Sarah would arrive soon, but until then, I wanted to hang out with David — another wrong guy. Instead, I planted myself on Kelly’s couch, flipped on the TV and tried to focus on something besides Kelly’s life and her uber-hot ex.

The doorknob rattled and a moment later, Sarah marched in. “TMZ filled their pages with you and David. Could’ve been worse, I suppose. Everything went okay after you guys left the theater? Does he still think you’re Kelly?” she asked as she hung her purse on the back of the chair.

I flipped the TV off and straightened my shoulders. “Yes, of course, he does.”

“You sure?” She came into the living room for a closer look. “I’ve had a bad feeling since I woke up this morning.”

I hated my life. No, I liked my life. It was Kelly’s life I didn’t want — except for David. “I’m sure. But if something went wrong, Kelly couldn’t blame you for it. Or me. I’m doing her a favor, because she begged.”

“Geez.” Her eyes narrowed as she dropped her purse on the sofa. “You’re awfully defensive. Did something else happen last night?”

"No." Not last night. I avoided her gaze as I went to open the fridge. Not like I was hungry, but it gave me something to do.

Sarah shadowed me to the kitchen and leaned against the doorjamb. “Let’s pretty you up and get this appearance over with.”

I grabbed a soda, popped the top and slapped on a smile. “Yes, so I can hurry up and come back to this condo filled with Kelly’s things.” At least at home I had all my belongings — and my parents.

She sighed. “What’s bothering you?”

I squeezed my eyes shut and pinched the bridge of my nose. “I hate lying to everyone, especially David. It’s hard.”

“Because you like him.” It wasn’t a question. “And you know it won’t go anywhere.”

“Exactly,” I said.

“Would it help if I came over tonight with a movie and popcorn? It might take your mind off him and keep you in the condo.” She gave me a sympathetic smile.

“That definitely sounds better than brooding.” I smiled. “Thanks.”

“Good. We should start getting you ready if we’re going to be there on time.”

Sarah dressed me in a mini skirt, a blouse that fell off one shoulder and, of course, a pair of heels specially designed to torture me. Lucky for Sarah, it was daytime and she wouldn’t be the center of attention, so she got to wear comfortable slacks with shoes that wouldn’t require suicide watch.

* * * *

The wide sidewalk in front of the restaurant left room for pedestrians while still allowing space for media and guests. Sarah and I waited on the sidelines and smiled as cameras flashed and clicked. Cars honked as they passed, probably recognizing a few faces.

“You’re doing great,” Sarah said, never breaking her smile. “Like I said, you’re a natural.”

“Feels phony,” I said, trying not to blink as lights went off in my peripheral vision.

“You remember what to say if you get cornered with a microphone?”

“Yes, you drilled it into me when you were getting me ready. I’m happy to be here. Proud to support my good friend, Steve. Everyone should try the food. It’s phenomenal.”

“Great. Yeah.” Sarah’s eyes narrowed. “But say it with some enthusiasm.”

We took our places closer to the ribbon as Steve positioned the scissors to cut it. A series of flashes and clicks and the ribbon collapsed. Moments later, the crowd dispersed. Some guests went inside to sample the food — it was a restaurant, after all. I decided that was a good idea since I hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast with David.