Prologue

“David, what are you doing here?” I blurted without even saying hello. “Is everything okay?” By the look on his face, everything was not okay. The coward part of me wanted to retract the question and run back inside.

The scowl lessened just a bit. “We need to talk.”

So he knew the truth. “Did she tell you or did you figure it out?” I asked.

“Kelly enlightened me.” David’s jaw tightened. “But I want to know why you didn’t tell me?”

“I-I couldn’t. It wasn’t my secret to tell and I swore to Kelly.” But I still felt sick to my stomach for betraying him. Avoiding his gaze, I folded my arms over my chest. “A promise is a promise.”

“Really, Candy?” he growled. “You were just going to let me go? The last few days meant nothing to you?” He fisted his hands at his sides.

My eyes narrowed. “Did it mean something to you?”

He exhaled. “Would I be here if it didn’t?”

“She gave me this address and shoved your car key at me.” He released me, but inched closer. “She also told me that the way to your heart is through jasmine. In pots, not bouquets, otherwise they die.” He stuffed his hands in his jeans pockets and shifted his weight. “She warned me to make sure you had time to read every day or you might get grumpy and that you’d rather curl up with a good book than watch a movie. Then she said ‘Good luck, stud. If you break my sister’s heart, I’ll have to hurt you.’”