Chapter Four

As the two sat at the small table, fire crackling nearby, Aedan continued the tale.

"Raegan stood frozen at the bonfire.  Watching the crowd, he witnessed chaos unfold.  Wolves had entered the sacred field and attacked the families closest to the edge of the gathering.  He vaguely heard the frantic calls of his father as he looked upon the village members running away, some of them trying to help injured loved ones to escape.  There were few villagers that were sprawled on the ground, unable to move, and abandoned by everyone in hopes of their own escape. 

"Raegan felt a hand grasp his upper arm firmly, and heard his father clearly for the first time.  "Stay behind me, Raegan" and Raegan stepped behind the large body of his father.  The bonfire came to life, growing in size and sparks spitting out toward the wolves.  Raegan saw the elder motioning to his father, but didn't understand what was happening.  The commotion was too much to translate into clear thoughts.

"The village elder reached into his dark red robe and produced a small round stone in the grasp of his fist, and extended his hand toward the sky.  Raegan heard the crackling of electricity in the air.  He looked again to his father, who was standing in a manner eerily similar to the village elder, mimicking the elder's movements.  The fire continued to spark and spit, reaching toward the wolves that had interrupted the celebration.  Raegan could feel the heat from the now enormous fire warming his back.  He turned to gaze at the sight of the fire that seemed ready to engulf the entire field when he felt a hard blow to his left side. 

"Startled by the blow, Raegan turned and saw his father kicking at a wolf that had made its way close enough to attack.  The stone his father had held now lay on the ground, just out of reach as he fought with the wolf that was tearing at his pant leg. An intense fear rushed through Raegan, and he heard his father yelling at him to run.  Raegan looked upon the frightful commotion, searched the crowd, and his legs began to move. 

"But his legs did not carry him away, instead he leapt forward toward his father and grabbed the stone from the ground.  He felt the stone's energy in his had, a slight humming vibration that traveled up his arm and into the center of his chest.  Raegan closed his eyes, trying to understand how to use his supposed power.  Finding nothing but the slight vibration of the stone in his hand and feeling helpless, Reagan cried out "Why are you doing this?" It was a guttural sound to Raegan's ears, panic in his voice.

"At that moment, the uproar seemed to calm slightly and the wolf that was mauling his father crouched down and let out a low growl.  The growl was long and low, rumbling like a slow approaching thunder. The rumble slowly transformed into something that Raegan could understand.  The wolfs growling full of emotion, related the tale of his pack being thinned out by hunters for their skins.  The anger was evident and the hurt apparent to Raegan.  They had lost some valued members of their pack, and they wanted retribution.  Raegan listened intently, not believing that he was hearing the words of the wolf, who was now snarling at his feet. 

"Nearby, the elder had lowered his outstretched arm, looking on curiously at Raegan.  To the onlookers, the few that remained at the field, it appeared that the wolf was crouched low and ready for an attack on Raegan.  But he just crouched there, snarling and growling a low continuous growl.  Raegan's hand trembling as he grasped the stone, arm half-raised to the night sky that was now void of the snaps of electricity.  Stray sparks flew round the pair as the night wind blew furiously like the outrage Raegan felt in his heart.  His father lay on the ground just feet away, holding a wound on his chest, but breathing...and watching helplessly. 

"What do you want from us? We hunt for food, for fur to clothe us, for resources to trade with.  It is our way of life, without the bounty we collect from a hunt, we would not survive." Raegan growled back at the wolf.  There were now other wolves slowly approaching this exchange of growled conversation.  The village elder, now at Raegan's side, clearly understood what was occurring, and placed a hand on Raegan's shoulder to lend support during the trance-like colloquy.

"There was now a small audience as the wolves and Raegan continued to speak with one another.  The wolves wanted to set boundaries in the wooded mountains that would be their safe haven, a place that was sacred to them just as the field was sacred to the villagers.   Raegan turned periodically and informed the village elder of the wolves' request. It only seemed fair to Raegan, who could not imagine if every time the villagers gathered at the field for a ceremony or celebration that they would be hunted by the wolves.  Raegan pleaded with the elder for him to consider the request.

"What seemed like hours later, when Raegan felt weak and drained of all energy and could barely stand at the base of the fire anymore, peace was made with the wolves.  There was a dedicated boundary decided upon at the crest of the mountain ridge where the wolves and other animals would be safe from the hunters.  Both the wolves and the villagers understood the need for hunting, as well as the need for the boundaries.  The boundaries were not great enough to protect the animals from being hunted completely, but would give a sacred space where they could feel protected. 

"In one rare night, Raegan had completed the rites of passage and channeled his newly acquired power by using the stones.  Raegan was too exhausted and drained after such a lengthy collaboration with the animals who had attacked them to understand that he had just made a tremendous impact on the future of the village, or to comprehend that he had saved his father's life, as well as many others.  Raegan and his father were taken home, and a nursemaid placed in their home for the night to make sure they both survived the night." 

Kira sat at the table as the completed story still whirled around her like magic in the air.  "Why does mom want me to remember this story, father? 

"Because, Kira, it is not merely a story.  It is our history.  And now, more than ever, it is important that we remember who we are."

Kira, confused about the reality of the stories she had heard during childhood, began to question everything.  "So, you are telling me that we are capable of magic? That there are these stones that once let us summon some super power to rule the land? You are telling me that these stories that have merely entertained us for so long are true and that we have just forgotten all of this in our quest for survival in this world?"

"Yes, Kira.  That is the basic outcome of not remembering your true heritage.  Many cultures that have converted to different religions or that have been taken over by a larger power have often forgotten the true ways of their people.  They have forgotten languages and rituals.  We have let our stories die, our magic die.  And now, it is time to remember it.  If we don't, the sacred land will not show us mercy.  There are not many of us left who remember.  I can teach you, I can lead you, but my time is running short."

Aedan stood, clearing the table of the partially eaten dinner.  "Kira, you must rest, for tomorrow will travel north."

Kira almost leapt from the table.  This must be serious, her father has never let her travel north with him.  Trying to slow her minds racing thoughts, she made herself walk slowly to the back of the cabin, where she would prepare some supplies for a long hike in the morning.