Chapter Two

Kira lay under the tree gazing up at the early morning rays of light, watching the branches sway in the breeze that blew gently, rustling the leaves slightly as the low rumble of thunder bounced off the mountains.  The long flowing branches of the willow appeared to be dancing with each other, movements graceful on the breeze.  Today, there were no birds singing in the branches, and the low growling thunder made her uneasy, so she closed her eyes and tuned into the humming melody of her mother's voice. 

With the calming energy seeming to seep into Kira through the ground, she eventually abandoned her thoughts about her father and fell asleep in the soft grass. 

Her beautiful hair fell below her shoulders, long dark wavy locks glistened in the sunlight.  Her long skirt swayed across the top of her bare feet as she seemed to glide along the ground toward Kira. Kira rubbed her sleepy eyes, not believing the apparition.  "Mom?"

Kira sat up, looking around her.  Everything seemed surreal.  The air seemed to glisten, The ground was covered with a thin layer of misty fog.  Kira's mother closed the distance in a graceful march.  Kira rose to her feet, almost leaping into her mother's arms.  The embrace was light, but full of love. When they pulled apart, Kira gazed into her mother's emerald eyes and knew that this was more than a dream. 

"Kira, I'm so glad you are here" her mother said in her soft, dreamy voice.  Kira had longed to hear her moms voice again for years.  "You are now a young woman.  You are going to realize many truths in the coming months.  I am sorry that I am not with you to guide you through". 

Kira smiled, although her eyes became filled with tears.  She often wished her mother were there to teach her the things she needed to know to become a woman and eventually a mother to her own children.  Her sisters, the nearest in age was seven years older, had taught her some basics of cooking, sewing, and the things to expect her body to go through over the next couple of years.  But they were all married and living in their own homes now.  Kira was lonely, she missed the days when her sisters would brush her hair and tell her stories.  Now, her father was out all day working, and Kira was responsible for the home.  Putting food away for the cold months and cooking the meals during the week nights filled her free time.  

"Kira, you must keep your mind open, as it is now.  Your father will teach you many things, many things that seem odd or strange." Kira looked at her mother confused.  "Kira, the stories I told you children at nights as we were settling down were more than tales to entertain.  I want you to remember the story of the boy who learned he could speak to animals, Kira.  Do you remember?"

Kira's mom took Kira's hands into her own, gave them a gentle squeeze, and whispered "remember".  With those words echoing in her mind, Kira's eyes opened and she was once again laying under the tree, gazing up at the sun rays streaming down like golden ribbons through the long willow branches.

Kira jumped up and ran back to the cabin, looking for her father.  She wanted to tell him all about her dream, her vision of her mother, and the message that she had relayed.  The cabin was silent, the fire had died out and all that was left were some glowing embers.  It was now mid-day, the earlier rumbling thunder had died out and the skies were again filled with the songs of birds.

Aedan wasn't anywhere to be found, so Kira got busy with her chores, trying to remember the story her mother had told her to recall.  At seven years old, she heard her mothers final story be told, and the details of these stories often became intermingled.  She really needed him to clear some of this up, her mind felt clouded...crowded with too many circling thoughts.  The mundane chores helped her get through the day until Aedan came home.