11. in need of a hero

Author Notes: I claim no rights or claim to own the Naruto series or its characters as they are owned by Masashi Kishimoto. The only characters I do claim to own are the OCs that I will be using. I also don't claim the other kitsunes or demon foxes that I will be using as they are owned by the various anime series that they are featured in. Please be sure to leave me your comments and reviews telling me what you think.

Key guide: "regular speech", 'thinking to one's self', *telepathic/mental speech*, (author notes), bold-demons/summons speaking, italics-attacks/jutsus/special abilities

Eleven: in need of a hero

The group continued on their way arriving at Tazuna's home. Simba told his genin that they had not seen the last of Zabuza so tomorrow, they were going to train before going to the bridge. The group meet Tazuna's daughter Tsunami and his grandson Inari.

"What good are these kids pretending to be ninja? They are only going to get killed by Gato and his goons!" yelled out Inari. A low deep snarl caused everyone to freeze. Naruto's eyes had become Kurama's.

"What do you know of death? Just because you are too scared to stand up against Gato and his evil doesn't mean that you can't fight back. You have to stand up for what you believe in and refuse to be bullied." growled Naruto before storming out of the house. After Naruto had left Inari began to cry. Something about what Naruto said and his eyes scared him far worse than even Gato.

"You have to excuse Naruto. You see he hasn't lead an easy life. He finally got tired of crying and allowing people to bully him that he did something to change his life for the better." stated Simba. Inari was silent after what Simba had just told him. "Akira could you go and check on Naruto for me?" asked Simba.

"Hai sensei (yes captain)." she replied as she left the house. She didn't see Naruto anywhere in sight. "Miki..... Can you lead me to Naruto?" she asked her pet dragon uncurling him from around her arm and holding him in her hands. Miki clicked his tongue as he began to sniff the air. When he found Naruto's scent, Miki flew out of Akira's hands heading towards where Naruto was. Akira was right behind the little dragon hoping that Naruto was all right.

Akira found Naruto in the middle of a forest as he was punching, clawing, and burning holes into a large tree. Miki had landed into an undamaged tree as his feathers ruffled. The little dragon could sense that Naruto was dangerous. Naruto could sense Akira as he turned towards his teammate. His eyes were not his own but rather Kurama's. Sharp claws lined his hands as sharp fangs were very visible. The whisker marks on his cheeks were broader and more noticeable. A sharp gasp escaped Akira as she remained perfectly still.

"Naruto.......?" she questioned. Even though she was still a bit afraid of the young blonde but she knew that Naruto would never hurt her. She was actually beginning to have feelings for the blonde as she didn't care that he had a demon sealed within him. Naruto took several long deep breaths calming down as his eyes returned back to their normal blue color.

"Sorry Akira. I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's all right Naruto. I know that you wouldn't hurt me. Come on and let's head back." stated Akira. Naruto nodded his head as they went back to Tazuna's house.

Over the next couple of days in order to prepare for the return of Zabuza, Simba trained his team how to climb trees using chakra in the sole of their feet. Once that task was mastered, he moved onto water walking and teaching the group how to use their own chakra for attacks. Shinri was an ice type. Akira because of her kekkigenkai was a fire, ice, lightning, and water type. Naruto was a wind type. The group would train before they went to the bridge with Tazuna and after they were done for the day. Simba knew that the closer they got to completing the bridge, the more likely that Zabuza would strike again. Naruto apologized to Inari for snapping at him.

"No...... I'm sorry. I had no idea that you had that hard of a life. From now on, I am going to try harder and not give up as easily." replied Inari. Naruto ruffled Inari's hair smiling softly.

"I have no doubt that you achieve great things in your life Inari if you keep to that goal." stated Naruto.

The next day, Simba allowed Naruto to sleep in as he went out to train late and did not return until early morning. The bridge was almost completed. He gave Inari a message to relay to Naruto when he woke up. It was close to noon as Inari and his mom were in the kitchen. Naruto awoke bolting from the bed realizing that he had slept in. Naruto quickly got dressed into his uniform. His senses allowed him to sense that two of Gato's men had entered the house. Suddenly he could hear Tsunami and Inari scream. Naruto quickly rushed down stairs and outside to see Inari armed with a butcher knife threatening the two large men who was holding Tsunami hostage.

"Give me back my mom!" shouted Inari.

"Sorry little man. Gato is in need of her. But you can wait for her in Heaven!" stated the tattooed man as he took out a sword to strike down Inari. Naruto quickly reacted as he grabbed Inari and used a substitution to prevent Inari from getting hurt. Inari looked up at Naruto in shock and surprise.

"Naruto!"

"Are you all right Inari?" Naruto asked as Inari nodded his head. "You did well trying to protect and get back your haha (mother). But leave this to me." stated Naruto. Inari nodded his head as he scrambled out of the way. The two armed thugs laughed at Naruto.

"You think that a brat like you can stop us?" asked the grungy thug. Naruto simply smiled at them.

"Oh I am confident that I can. Especially when you no longer have a hostage." replied Naruto. The two thugs turned to see a female fox with golden brown fur. Black tips on her ears and a white tip on her tail as she had golden brown eyes. The female fox grinned forcing the two men to turn back looking at Naruto who was armed with an orb made of wind along with a clone who held the same jutsu.

"Rasengan!" shouted out Naruto and his clone as they slammed the spiraling wind sphere into the two thugs. The two thugs went flying after the jutsu hit them as they both landed into the water that surrounded the village and Tazuna's home. The clone vanished in a puff of smoke as Naruto walked up to the fox petting it on the head. "Thanks Momiji for your help. I need for you to protect these two for me while I go and help my team." Naruto stated.

"Leave it to me Naruto!" Momiji replied. Naruto went to check on Inari and his mom to make sure that they were all right.

"Are you two all right?" Naruto asked.

"We are fine thanks to you Naruto." replied Tsunami.

"Good. Momiji will stay and protect you just in case they return. I have to go and help my team." Naruto stated before he dashed off for the bridge.