Chapter 17

Stepping out of the shower, glancing back at Amelia as she remained under the hot water, Jax smirked and dried himself quickly. He trotted back into their bedroom, still wearing a grin, and noticed her phone on the night stand. The screen was bright as an incoming call popped up.

It was Hale. Jax scooped it up. "Hello?"

"Jax," David sounded surprised. "I'm looking for Amelia."

"She's indisposed," he sat on the edge of the mattress. "Why are calling?"

"I'll talk to her later," he said angrily.

"Why are you calling my wife?"

"Why did you try to kill my brother?" He spat back. "We had an understanding, Jax but this, you crossed a goddamn line."

Jax was about to rail on him but he closed his mouth and tried to calm down before replying. "I didn't go after Jacob," he said with a clenched jaw. "I was going to come to you, see if you could talk to him and your nephew."

"Instead you tried to kill him," Dave repeated.

"We didn't," he growled. "Why are you calling Amelia?"

"Suspicious? Jealous?"

"No," Jax said quickly. "I trust Meely, I know her, you're another story."

Dave knew that much and he didn't want to cause any trouble, or worse, for Amelia so instead he quit prodding at Jax and blurted out the real reason for the call. "Alice got picked up by Roosevelt, she was with Abel."

"Goddamn it," Jax barked. "For what?"

"Weed," Hale sighed. "Not sure what they'll be charged with, possession maybe, but it's Roosevelt's arrest."

Jax huffed and closed his eyes. "I'll post bail for both of them."

"They haven't been arraigned yet."

"Charming PD hasn't waited to arraigned any of us in years," Jax hissed.

"Yeah, that was because of me," Hale reminded him. "I'm on forced leave. I can't do shit."

Jax ran his fingers through his wet hair and grumbled something unintelligible under his breath. "Alright. Thanks."

"Who's that?" Amelia asked she glided in still wrapped up in her towel.

"Hale," Jax said to her quickly. "I'll let her know," Jax said to Hale before the call ended.

Her face drained of all color as she looked at him expectantly. "What happened?"

"Alice was arrested," he huffed, "With Abel."

"Sounds like us," she chuckled.

He laughed and nodded. "Yeah but we were a lot younger."

"True, I'm glad she waited," Amelia sighed heavily. "Let's get dressed and pick them up."

"Roosevelt isn't letting them out until they can be arraigned."

"That fucker," she hissed.

"Can't help but think this is on me," he said ruefully. "If we checked, if we were more careful Jacob Hale wouldn't be half dead and Hale would still be running law in Charming."

Still in her towel, Amelia sat beside him and nodded. "This isn't on you, Jax. We just need to be more careful until things go back to normal."

"Roosevelt is up our asses," Jax sighed.

She nodded. "I know."

"Now he's messing with our kid," Jax was furious.

Amelia sighed, "Babe she was with Abel. Sure, he could have targeted her but it's not really unexpected."