Chapter Eleven ~

"Yeah, so, just take bus number 12 to bus stop number 26 and from there it's about a four block walk." Asa said smiling as he pointed to the bus map.

"Thanks. I owe you one." I replied with a fake smile plastered on my face.

"You know" he says, "I don't know how I feel about you walking four blocks all by yourself. It kind of runs through a bad neighborhood. Do you mind if I just came with you to the mall and like just hung out in the food court or something?"

"Uh, no. I think I'll be fine." I say but the truth is Tobias already brought to my attention that it is kind of a sketchy neighborhood, and he's meeting me at bus stop 26 and he's walking me to the mall.

"Oh... okay. I guess" he says as his face turns gloomy.

"Hey, Asa, I-I'm sorry. I just, um, really wanna be a-alone."

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have even tried." he says coldly, walking back upstairs.

I take in a big breath and sigh as I slid down the wall, contemplating my next decision. I could text Tobias and cancel and go apologize to Asa or I could just brush it off. Well, if I were to cancel and then apologize there's a 50/50 chance that Asa will forgive me and we could hang out, but if he doesn't forgive me I would have nothing to do all day and it would just be plain awkward.

I finally came to a decision that if I go to the mall and get out of the house for a bit it would benefit us both. I would get to do what I want to do and Asa would get his time and space. So with that, I walked out of the door, closing it hard, and headed to the bus station.

*Asa's POV*

As I was patiently waiting for Lizzie to come to my room and apologize, I began thinking about the whole situation. Why did she want to go to the mall by herself so bad? She didn't seem like she wanted to be alone when I put practically all of my feelings on the line when I worked up the courage to kiss her on the cheek and she blushed like mad afterwards. I thought she would be more open to putting herself out there when I did. I really feel like she's never going to completely reopen herself up to me again. And not because I left her. It's because I let her go.

I then had a flashback to right before she moved. We were swinging on the swings all alone and she was trying to tell me something but all I wanted to do was talk about some movie or something. Then I had another one. We were sitting at the lunch table at school not too long before she moved as well, and she was again trying to tell me something, but I was trying to get a girl named Ella to talk to me. After that a ton of more memories similar to those came rushing into my head.

Then it became all too clear for me. I always thought that she would have absolutely no right to ever be upset about the move because she left me without ever telling me. But really she tried to tell me and I wouldn't listen. And then I let her leave without ever trying to get in touch with her because I was so hooked on her "ditching me" and being angry about it, that I never stopped to think about how she felt. About how she probably felt like I didn't care enough to contact her or send her letters or something. But really I was just caught up in myself. She probably felt like her whole world was falling apart. Moving to a different continent, practically losing her dad- and mum for that matter, and losing the only person she could ever honestly call friend. I ditched her. I let our friendship deteriorate. I am the reason she isn't open with me. Because the last time she was, I literally broke her whole world.