Chapter 1: A Fresh Start

*******

A few weeks had passed since Kimura had done anything.

She was a bookish couch potato with an unhealthy obsession with chess.

Every weekend either sleeping and reading, or helping her parents with the ungodly amount of paperwork.

The very last weekend,when she was helping them out, she spotted a thick file that bore her name and took it sneakily.

Working with her parents is as boring as it sounds like, and she was actually very curious to see that file, she really has never been given the chance to.

After doing chores, she went out for a walk taking the file with her, roaming around the neighborhood that was weirdly empty, they were probably out somewhere visiting their relatives or something, atleast she hoped so. (Hello there anti-sociability)

As leaves were crunching beneath her sneakers, she stumbled against a huge backyard with an ancient and a pre-iceage-looking rusty door that had no locks or handles. Oddly enough there was no house even remotely close to that yard, It's a garden mayhaps?

Kimura is curious indeed, but she was never nosey, not around her new neighbor's properties anyways.

She peaked through the door.

The scenery was stunning to her.
A beautifully grown out wild garden with little mushrooms scattered and some random grown out plants. She seated herself on the green grass as the weak sun started moving away from the center of the sky.

Kimura opened the file delicately trying not to damage any papers.

She held some legal guardian transfer papers, some baby pictures of her and.. Oh god, is that her id? Why does it have a different name?

She kept clutching out papers as if in a trance.

She didn't know of anything until her eyesight fogged at the adoption papers.

They weren't her parents.

Kimura didn't rush or try do anything but instead sat peacefully at that garden where she cried out and contemplated her life.

Two hours passed. Kim had lost the track of time thinking.

She didn't know if she was late to go back home, was it really home?, until some wind blew her beatiful honey curls and the sky went colorful.

Kimura went back home, she put her file inside her drawer and went down to her still-busy parents who haven't had the time to noticed her late arrival.

She sat silently at the lunch table eating her food, or more accurately messing with her food and making it look like she had.

Her parents were merrily eating, they were checking their phones and laptops for any information about currency and that god damn company.

She wanted to yell at them or do some crazy shit, yet she suddenly blurted "Nice, i'm adopted" while sipping some of her juice. Sassy.

Their eyes had gotten wide and away from the screens in astonishment.

Everyone could sense that meatball struggle down through her dad's throat.

Her mom looked puzzled, but her dad just replied "Um, sweety.. who said that?", trying to fix what was already broken.

Kimura gave him a very cold side-eye saying,"I just read my file you know..don't start up..".

That lunch was the very first lunch that family had with no screens.
In a matter of fact, they miraculously talked to her for once in that miserable lifetime honestly and clearly.

In one lunch she got to know that her own parents were telling her the details of how they weren't.

She did look like an icicle infront of them, yet she held those tears back for the late nights at her bedroom.

Nothing was good again, her life wasn't real, nor her bond with her parents, if it even existed. No soothing words or hugs and smiles would fix that, not even their really rare compassion.

********

The next day was a normal boring school day.

Kimura had some plans.

She decided after the discovery that she made, she wanted to know her parents, or atleast any family member.

She wanted to know who she was and to whom did she biologically belong to.

This needed a new life arrangement, even if it meant taking risks, because if she settles down it's gonna be the end of her.

Thinking thoroughly, she listed down some things she needed like a new pc with a better programmable software, so maybe she could be capable of hacking into some sites better, or maybe try Multi-Macro searching.

Also money was key for her trip back to the city, so she needed a job, because there was no way in hell her parents would provide such money, or allow her to go on such a trip.

And then it hit her, PERFECT!!!

Afterschool extra geography sessions.
If you're wondering then no, they do not exist , but her parents wouldn't bother with the details. She was willing to work after school, but the question was who would employ a 17 year old? what would the work even be like?

" I have to do this".