Chapter Seven

Hermione Granger arrived at the gate of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry a whole hour before Severus was to arrive. She sullenly paced the width of the boundary and looked as she cast a shadow on the grass beyond.

     The sun had set long ago and she knew that if she stopped moving her thoughts would go right to images of what may be lurking in the shadows.

     Minutes seemed to drag by and when she looked at her clock to find that it was already eight fifteen and Snape wasn't there, Hermione found herself growing annoyed. The nerve of that man. If he grows any later-

     At eight oh nine he came walked down the well worn path. She had never been so happy and angry to see someone in her entire existence. Though Hermione had decided to go with the first option she was still more than a little annoyed at having to stand in the cold air for longer than necessary.

In her haste to leave his classroom that morning she hadn't really stopped to let his clothing choice set in. For once, she saw him in a different light. Even if his clothes were still as dark as usual she had to note the differences. The first thought being: Severus looks...hot. Wait what.

He was dressed in dark wash jeans and a black button up with a leather jacket that somehow managed to look haphazardly thrown on. And his hair...what usually was a mess of greased over hair from his time brewing potions was scooped into a small ponytail at the base of his head.

     However odd it was to see him looking so different, Hermione couldn't take her eyes away. It was like her eyes were locked on his body. The whole world was gone and in that instant it was like nothing else existed. Snap out of it!

     "Miss Granger, if you are done staring at me, I think it would be wise for us to leave no." Her cheeks turned a bright tomato red, she was sure, and she ducked her head in shame. "Y-yes, professor. L-let's head that way." How pathetic are you?

     They began walking not a second after she stuttered awkwardly. For the first leg of their venture into the Forbidden Forest not a word was said. Though in Hermione's mind, the silence was her best friend. All she could do was hope that he would forget the scene from earlier.

     "Alright, stop here. The first item we are in need of is flobberworm mucus." She made a face at the idea of collecting slime from those disgusting creatures but didn't dare protest his statement. All that nasty goop from a commonplace worm. Ugh.

     A few yards into a bog and Severus stuck his hand out to stop her. "This is a good area to search for them. They often like to make themselves at home in places like this." She was hesitant, maybe a little too hesitant. "Miss Granger, you will never make it through the night of you cannot even do this simple task. We haven't even got to the challenges yet."

     The potions professor and his apprentice walked away from the bog forty-five minutes later with two jars full of flobberworm mucus. It was easier than she thought it would be and even though she didn't quite enjoy extracting it, she found herself relishing the look of concentration on Severus's face.

     "Now, I must tell you that the next ingredient is rather difficult to obtain. We need a small amount of bicorn horns and as you know, they are very protective of their grazing lands. It may be best if you stay behind. I wouldn't want you to break a nail; you probably wouldn't make it through the pain if something were to happen."

His words hit Hermione harder than they should have and she immediately jumped to her own defence. "Actually, sir, I will being staying with you every part of this night. After all, I wouldn't want to break a nail if something were to attack me if I were by myself." As hard as it was, she managed to keep the smirk off of her face.